Premed 101 Forums

NOSM application submitted

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will go to my interview this year, as my situation has improved!! That is, if I HOPEFULLYYYYY get one. :)

Good Luck Everybody!!!!

The tricky part is every year the applicant pool is different, varying from weak to exceptionally strong. So one year with the same application you may interview and other years possibly not.

The most eye popping example of this was for me. It was the closest I got to getting to date! I interviewed at Dalhousie Med and got waitlisted (unknown where on the list) ... I never got in that year but thought I was a definite shoe in the next year. The following year I interviewed, felt that I did similarly well and didnt even get waitlisted. :confused: I worked hard to improve my third application to Dal Med because I admittedly didnt improve my application from the first to second application. I did additional ECs , started a second undergrad to improve my marks, interviewed and again didnt get in and NOT even waitlisted.

Then I moved out of province and finished my trying with Dal Med.

Obviously the first time I was waitlisted I was in a weaker applicant pool and/or did exceptionally well on the interview that first time around. So year to year one's application changes in strength relative to the competition. The trick is to improve your application year to year.

Of course I hope this is not the case for you and I hope it isnt but I thought I would share my experience for peoples interest.

Beef

Oh wow! Thats is so awesomely early!! Beef, thank you for the reality check. I always use the word 'hopefully' for that very reason. UBC did not give me the time of day this year after two interviews, but frankly, even though it will complicate my family situation to the max, I would rather study at NOSM. I am Aboriginal and Francophone and my GPA went up by 6% this year, so I am hoping for some good news but certainly NOT expecting it. Being on pins and needles is exciting and very distracting! :-P

January 19th I believe.

That would be fantastic if it happens ths year!

Eternal Keeper: Good luck! and thanks for not taking my comments the wrong way as I wish you the best of luck. Your previous application, improved GPA and highly sought after demographics will no doubt get you an interview and further I suspect!

Beef

I am not expecting it to be that early this year. Last year the final admission acceptances went out a week earlier than normal, so it made sense to try to move everything else up by a week. Still, anyone who has ever dealt with the admissions office at NOSM knows it is a very well run and organized office. So I do expect their interview offers to go out before most other Ontario medical schools.

That would be fantastic if it happens ths year!

Eternal Keeper: Good luck! and thanks for not taking my comments the wrong way as I wish you the best of luck. Your previous application, improved GPA and highly sought after demographics will no doubt get you an interview and further I suspect!

Beef

Beef, no offense taken!! I have taken hard knocks so many times in this process that I do appreciate the reality checks from my peers. I do reality checks on a regular basis on my own too. :) Thanks for the vote of confidence! You are a hard-working and seemingly dedicated applicant to NOSM with the right geography - all of which bodes well for an interview!! Best of luck to you too!

-Eternalkeener

Should be soon that the emails go out to interviewees. I was made aware that emails went out to potential interviewers (recruitment of interviewers) on Monday, Jan 16th. So the wheels of e-communication are spinning at the admissions office and hopefully will be churning emails to interviewees shortly! Tomorrow seems too good to be true ... but is a possibility I suppose based on historical accounts of previous applicants/current students.

Good luck to those who are impatiently waiting ... I am getting quite excited ... I think I am more excited about this then I was about Christmas morning, hopefully it wont be a disappointment like some years under the X-mas tree .... such as the pair binoculars I got one year as a teen and always wonder why I got those as I never had ANY interest in bird watching, hunting, or becoming a 'peeping Tom' . I think my dad just wanted binoculars and knew I wouldnt use them ... to this day they are hanging in his room and he watches his racing pigeons and other distant organisms with them. :rolleyes:

Beef

Should be soon that the emails go out to interviewees. I was made aware that emails went out to potential interviewers (recruitment of interviewers) on Monday, Jan 16th. So the wheels of e-communication are spinning at the admissions office and hopefully will be churning emails to interviewees shortly! Tomorrow seems too good to be true ... but is a possibility I suppose based on historical accounts of previous applicants/current students.

Good luck to those who are impatiently waiting ... I am getting quite excited ... I think I am more excited about this then I was about Christmas morning, hopefully it wont be a disappointment like some years under the X-mas tree .... such as the pair binoculars I got one year as a teen and always wonder why I got those as I never had ANY interest in bird watching, hunting, or becoming a 'peeping Tom' . I think my dad just wanted binoculars and knew I wouldnt use them ... to this day they are hanging in his room and he watches his racing pigeons and other distant organisms with them. :rolleyes:

Beef

Oh god, I hope its not a comparble situation to a disappointing christmas present. One time I got fuzzy track pants a la J-Lo. Since I am not a successful latina pop star I was very confused as to what the gifter thought of me. Hahahaha- fingers crossed its not going to be a fuzzy track pants/binocular kind of week :)

Man, I'd take the compliment about the J-Lo pants and revel in the House DVD AND the binoculars... I guess I'm that Christmas participant that loves just about anything, except for engineer slide rules or power tools (well maybe just non-power tools... power tools are actually kind of cool although I wouldn't get much use out of them. I'd probably trade them in for the cash.) I guess there are SOME things I wouldn't like, but you haven't named any of them!!! That being said, the quality of House has taken a major slide downwards this season with all the silly new characters that don't really establish the same kinds of relationships with the team, and now that everything that House could screw up has been screwed up by him.

All this to say, I'm going nuts with anticipation. I really hope these invites come out tomorrow because I'm finding it really hard to concentrate on finding a job, and even on prepping for the MMI!!! I do have one invite at Manitoba so far which is focussing me somewhat, however.

On the subject of MMI's, I'm getting a bit frustrated. I felt as though I had an excellent structure last night when I practised with people, but I could've improved my delivery and tightness/conciseness of what I was saying. I got really harshly evaluated though... I do not want that 'average' stamp anymore. What have you guys found that helps you the most/puts your practice question quality over the top?

HAHAHA OOOOOOH... I still love that show, but would hate watching an entire set. Watching one episode every couple of years brings a nice nostalgic smile to my face though...

Super funny... I interpreted your comment as a full HOUSE DVD SET, as in an emphasis on it being a WHOLE set and therefore it made you even more disappointed in the gift... HAHAHA

So I assume that they won't have time to decide who gets an interview AND send out all the emails today, right?

It does seem like a stretch to be able to get it all decided, organized and emailed all out today considering the volume of applicants they would have to email. So based on his information I am realistically expecting Monday to be the earliest for this if NOSM chooses not to hang on to the information for a while. I wonder if Ab_Med has anymore insight?

Good luck to all.

Archived