Premed 101 Forums

NOSM application submitted

It does seem like a stretch to be able to get it all decided, organized and emailed all out today considering the volume of applicants they would have to email. So based on his information I am realistically expecting Monday to be the earliest for this if NOSM chooses not to hang on to the information for a while. I wonder if Ab_Med has anymore insight?

Good luck to all.

I wont ask who you had to kill for that information:D

Yesterday there were likely ~2000 applicants in the pool .... and today ~400 will remain .... :eek:

Beef

Kill ....or sleep with....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just got a chance to check email after a few days without it...omg...had no idea what i would find once i got on. checked my emails first, no word from NOSM then came on here...no one has heard anything? today is friday...wondering by end of day, or wait till monday?

at least i am out of -40 weather!

good luck!

Email invites come first. The snail-mail includes the interview package and has some things to sign.

Last year the interview acceptances went out ahead of schedule. This year, who knows - it will depend on when they have made their final selection. Personally, I like not knowing what day they will be sent out. Last year I just randomly checked my email and saw an email from NOSM about the interviews. As I didn't expect that they would be sent out for another 2 or 3 weeks it was a very pleasant surprise. Significantly less stressful when compared to knowing the exact date (and general time frame) for medical school acceptances when I (and I am sure many others) refreshed my email every couple seconds for about 2 hours.

I can't imagine that anyone on here knows how they decide on the 400 who end up with interviews. It would be speculation.

Email invites come first. The snail-mail includes the interview package and has some things to sign.

Last year the interview acceptances went out ahead of schedule. This year, who knows - it will depend on when they have made their final selection. Personally, I like not knowing what day they will be sent out. Last year I just randomly checked my email and saw an email from NOSM about the interviews. As I didn't expect that they would be sent out for another 2 or 3 weeks it was a very pleasant surprise. Significantly less stressful when compared to knowing the exact date (and general time frame) for medical school acceptances when I (and I am sure many others) refreshed my email every couple seconds for about 2 hours.

I can't imagine that anyone on here knows how they decide on the 400 who end up with interviews. It would be speculation.

Yes, I agree I'd rather not know the exact date they send the invites. Otherwise I'd be checking my email every hour.

To lloyder34 - Could you please post that link where they say about the whole invite/interview process, because I think I found some info, but it's from last year.

I thought it was fairly well known that interviewees were selected using a score derived form 1/3 Auto-Bio sketch, 1/3 GPA, 1/3 context. After the interview than all of that becomes 1/2 and the interview accounts for half the score. This is what I have heard time and time again.

Beef

I thought it was fairly well known that interviewees were selected using a score derived form 1/3 Auto-Bio sketch, 1/3 GPA, 1/3 context. After the interview than all of that becomes 1/2 and the interview accounts for half the score. This is what I have heard time and time again.

Beef

Yes, of course that is how things are scored. But I was referring to the process ie someone asked "it can't possible be whittled down by one committee?"

How do they score the context? How do the score your ABS? Who scores your grade for the ABS? Is it one person or multiple? If two people score someone's ABS and come up with a pretty different score how is that sorted out? Once you get your final score is it actually the top 400 who get interviews, or say the top 300 for sure, with a committee looking more closely at those ranked 301 to 500 to decide on who is most deserving to be in that final 100? There are ~2000 applicants. Part of the scoring is somewhat subjective. I imagine deciding who gets the final couple dozen interview spots over others who appear to be equally strong candidates requires debate amongst the committee. Of course I could be wrong.

Yes, of course that is how things are scored. But I was referring to the process ie someone asked "it can't possible be whittled down by one committee?"

How do they score the context? How do the score your ABS? Who scores your grade for the ABS? Is it one person or multiple? If two people score someone's ABS and come up with a pretty different score how is that sorted out? Once you get your final score is it actually the top 400 who get interviews, or say the top 300 for sure, with a committee looking more closely at those ranked 301 to 500 to decide on who is most deserving to be in that final 100? There are ~2000 applicants. Part of the scoring is somewhat subjective. I imagine deciding who gets the final couple dozen interview spots over others who appear to be equally strong candidates requires debate amongst the committee. Of course I could be wrong.

Well that level of detail we will never know. And I agree that around the 300-500 applicant mark they would need to look at them closely because there is pobably so little seperating applicants, score wise, that they may look at qualitative things that makes them decide whether to interview certain applicants. It would be interesting to see the process if your own application wasnt causing you anxiety while watching the process :D

There are multiple people who score your sketch and submission short essays. This is part of what gets you to an interview. Post interview it is 1 admissions committee that determines who gets in from that 400 to 200 to spots.

Hope that helps

Hey all!

Yeah, I have always been curious if it was purely mathematical, eg. 1/3 context, 1/3 ABS, and 1/3 GPA from your pre-interview scores + 50% interview score... with the top 64 being offered spots automatically without discussion of the top candidates post-interview.

I guess I was wondering if the admissions committee ever sits and discusses the top candidates as a 'whole package' and makes offers from there based on all factors -- or if offers are based only on adding up all of the individual scores.

Oh, the speculation!

short answer is yes! there is a committee that looks at the top candidates and combs through every detail to decide which students will make their class.

Hey all!

Yeah, I have always been curious if it was purely mathematical, eg. 1/3 context, 1/3 ABS, and 1/3 GPA from your pre-interview scores + 50% interview score... with the top 64 being offered spots automatically without discussion of the top candidates post-interview.

I guess I was wondering if the admissions committee ever sits and discusses the top candidates as a 'whole package' and makes offers from there based on all factors -- or if offers are based only on adding up all of the individual scores.

Oh, the speculation!

ok well ... that whole excitement of possibly getting our interview invites on Monday is over. I guess its back to "by mid-Feb" as the best guess we have and will relegate itself to a surprise if it comes any earlier as per the wishes of some posters here.

Oh well Ill amuse myself some other way.

ok well ... that whole excitement of possibly getting our interview invites on Monday is over. I guess its back to "by mid-Feb" as the best guess we have and will relegate itself to a surprise if it comes any earlier as per the wishes of some posters here.

Better to have it done right and double checked, than to rush those interview invites out. Regardless there is plenty of time until interviews and almost 4 months until medical school acceptances go out.

Archived