Premed 101 Forums

Applying to HKU/CU

Wobto

Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone knows about how those two med schools in Hong Kong look at Canadian applicants' GPA. I have heard that locals can apply after just one year of undergraduate studies, and if so, does that mean that your high school marks are weighted heavily in your application?

Much appreciated.

No. Your gpa will weigh more as an undergraduate student. It's rare for non-locals to be accepted just after the first year though. Also, Asia cares alot about your school's reputation, and Canadian schools are considered second tier compared to UK and US schools (unfair and ignorant, I know). UT and McGill would be considered the best in Canada to them.

• 7 months later...
Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone knows about how those two med schools in Hong Kong look at Canadian applicants' GPA. I have heard that locals can apply after just one year of undergraduate studies, and if so, does that mean that your high school marks are weighted heavily in your application?

Much appreciated.

Is it true that you can only enter HKU med school if you have some command of Cantonese? I was in Hong Kong doing research with a PI in the HKU Faculty of Medicine in 2010 and he told me that they changed their system recently so that you'd need to know Chinese.

Can someone tell me if he was out to lunch or is this actually true? LOL

And how many Canadian graduates from there are able to match in CaRMS? That's an important question to consider before going overseas, else, you're asking to get ruined.

Going to Hong Kong is NOT an easy out, such as going to the Caribbeans or Australia or even Ireland. They require high GPAs (at the very minimum, high 3.8s) and well-roundedness as much as Canadian medical schools do. CUHK doesn't take NON-JUPAS applicants with <3.9 GPA.

Obviously, if you want to match in Canada via CaRMS, then it's almost impossible with an M.B.B.S from anywhere, even in HKU/CUHK. But for me personally, I wouldn't mind working and living in Hong Kong.

If you have the grades, it's about a lifestyle choice, more than anything. If you want to stay in Canada, go to a Canadian med school. If you want to live in Hong Kong, matching in CaRMS are doing residency in Canada probably won't help your cause.

Hong Kong medical schools are all about GPA and prestigious awards. They DO NOT care about applicants being well-rounded or not. If you graduate from a well-known school (Ivys, McGill, Oxbridge, etc), you'll have a much greater chance of being admitted despite having mediocre stats. Seriously, only North American schools care so much about your non-academic qualities. Asian schools mainly care about their reputations academically.

surprised but...

just got an interview invite, NON-JUPAS.

cGPA 3.88, MCAT 38S.

june 11th or 12th. i'm probably going to go with june 11 so it doesn't conflict (too much) with my job obligations...

With these stats, why not applying to Canada/US where you are near guarantied getting a residency in Canada?

With these stats, why not applying to Canada/US where you are near guarantied getting a residency in Canada?

Sometimes it's more of a lifestyle choice. I've been accepted to a Canadian med school this cycle and am currently on three wait-lists.

But there are other things to consider... like where I want to practice in the future, where do I want to live, etc...

I think more options are a good thing.

What is the level of proficiency in Cantonese/Chinese required for HKU/CU MBBS? I had considered HKU previously, but realized that my reading/writing proficiency in Chinese is limited.

I heard that the language proficiency is tested by translating a written piece from English to Chinese and vice versa. Is this true?

I think verbal communication in Cantonese wouldn't be a problem, but I doubt I would be able to pass the translation test.

Sometimes it's more of a lifestyle choice. I've been accepted to a Canadian med school this cycle and am currently on three wait-lists.

But there are other things to consider... like where I want to practice in the future, where do I want to live, etc...

I think more options are a good thing.

Are you guaranteed to get residency/citizenship in HK?

Are you guaranteed to get residency/citizenship in HK?

Yes to the first question, and I'm a citizen already (dual citizenship).

What is the level of proficiency in Cantonese/Chinese required for HKU/CU MBBS? I had considered HKU previously, but realized that my reading/writing proficiency in Chinese is limited.

I heard that the language proficiency is tested by translating a written piece from English to Chinese and vice versa. Is this true?

I think verbal communication in Cantonese wouldn't be a problem, but I doubt I would be able to pass the translation test.

Think the interview is both English and Cantonese, and you'd have to pass some sort of written test. I hear the written isn't bad though.

From what I've heard, there is no Chinese/cantonese requirement for HKU. Though you will need to be able to converse with patients in cantonese when you make your rounds in upper years. CUHK does have a Chinese proficiency requirement though.

I also applied to HKU under the non-jupas (dual citizen) category. Even though I am still waiting for an interview reply/invite, I am also debating if I can really be accustomed to the lifestyle change.

Tell me how it goes phear8.

you guys should also beware of the post-graduation situation in hk. you might be asked to sign a lengthy contract to stay in the public hospitals (which are in chaos right now), and under the current hk mbbs system, it might also take awhile for you to specialize. this is why singapore has moved to an american residency system to make the process more streamlined.

phear - when you said lifestyle, i suppose you are envisioning the glamorous life that doctors in asia seem to have in tv shows and what not. that might be true if you run private practice since it will become a business, but that only happens if you manage to get out of the public sector, which might take you many years unless you have connection with folks in private hospitals.

• 1 month later...
No. Your gpa will weigh more as an undergraduate student. It's rare for non-locals to be accepted just after the first year though. Also, Asia cares alot about your school's reputation, and Canadian schools are considered second tier compared to UK and US schools (unfair and ignorant, I know). UT and McGill would be considered the best in Canada to them.

whats wrong with you? there are many people from canada in cuhk in my class. AND there are no UT or Mc Gill students in my class this year. This is a irresponsible piece of info you are giving detering students from other unis in canada from applying.

Archived