Premed 101 Forums

Carolyn Need your advice

Guest Jetson

Hello Carolyn,

I have been reading your posts and wanted to ask you a few things about changing into science after Bcomm.

My background is a Bcomm from Queen's and 2 years work experience in consulting. I really am not suited for this type of work and feel that medicine is the path that I would like to pursue. Now here are the problems. I don't have the science OAC's so I will have to take them in an accelerated program in addition to taking them in University with 2nd year organic,and biochemistry for the MCAT's.

I wanted to ask you how you found the science courses relative to the business courses in terms of difficulty. Also, did you have to complete the OAC's as well?

Finally Carolyn I was wondering what your commerce GPA was as well as your science GPA. I have a 3.7 from commerce, which scares me because I feel that I have to do much better in the science courses to show an upward trend in marks and also to boost my marks, in addition if I take time out to do the courses, do worse and don't get accepted I will have trouble finding another job because I left the workforce to go to med school.

Your input and advice is greatly appreciated. I there are others who are making the transition from science to business please also post your wisdom and guidance

Thanks to all

Jetson

Guest Carolyn

Hi Jetson --

Hmmm... What is wrong with Queen's commerce that keeps pushing us into Meds? Seriously, it was a fun great programme and I don't regret it at all.

I wrote my whole story out in another post called "Carolyn What's your story" in Med Student General Discussion - so you can see the route I took.

A couple of comments - your marks are really good from Commerce... They'll definitely make you eligible for some of the schools in Ontario and many outside. I found the science courses easier to get the really high marks (high 80/90), they definitely didn't give out a lot of those when I was in commerce. However, I was a mature student by the time I started back into Science courses and I'm sure that had an effect on my study habits... (and alfies wasn't 100 crawls away from my front door!) Depending on time of year, I wouldn't suggest the OACs are particularly important - I just signed up for them because I decided on the switch mid-way through the year - and did them part-time while working --- maybe you can do them correspondence if you feel really out of touch with science (which is why I took them). In terms of

university courses you could just take the std prereqs: Bio, Chem, Physics, and Organic Chem and write the MCAT next April (i.e. take Chem this summer so you have the pre-req for Orgo next fall)... If you have extra time I would suggest trying to taking anatomy and physiology courses... both would make your pre-clinical years easier.

Also, it is important to get out and get some good volunteering in a health care facility so that you can get a true understanding of the roles of physicians an others. They'll look for it in your application!

With regards to getting jobs if you don't get in, I think it is important to keep your skills up while at school - take on one or some small contracts where you can govern your own time -- I can't really talk much to how employers would regard an attempt to get into medical school...

Carolyn

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Just one more question, you said that you did not take the OAC's, does that mean that Universities don't require you to have the prereq's to take the university level courses? I thought that they wouldn't let you enroll in the university science courses without the prereq's.

Thanks again and I know what you mean, studying takes on a whole new effiency when one is removed for alfies vicinity!!!

Hi Carolyn

I was also wondering how much time you spent volunteering by the time you applies. Also how did the interviews go, were they concerned about the switch from business to science. Everyone keeps telling me dont bother, they want people with research exprience who are focused on medicine and nothing else since day one. Is this really true.

Also are you thinking about specializing and if so, what would you like to do.

Thanks again Jetson!

Guest Carolyn

The interviews weren't that tough - I remember many of my business interviews being tougher - you just have to be really prepared.

You definitely don't have to have a research background - don't listen to those people - they don't have a clue... However, research is experience is definitely beneficial and will help you in the long run to decide whether you want to involve research in your practice.

For volunteering it is the quality that counts... To make a parallel to commerce at Queen's, if you were to read that someone was a member of the QMA, attended Q'BET and was a host for both ICBC and QEC... You might think that this was a very involved person - unless you were in the know-- then you would know that this person just drinks a lot and really doesn't do a heck of alot of extracurricular activities... It would be very tough for that person to describe what they gave to those groups in an interview.... Take the time to find something you'd really enjoy and do it well - and try to make a difference.

I volunteered in an emerg one night a week for a year, at a Children's Hospital one day a week for a year and taught Karate quite a lot. I had a bunch of extracurricular activities both at Queen's and post-Queen's... But each person is different. I have a friend where a lot of her volunteer activities surrounded putting on musicals with innercity kids...

Finally (got to get going), I'm thinking of applying to the 5 year emerg specialty programme.

Take care

Carolyn

P.S. Feel free to email me directly - I think you can just click on my name - no need filling up the board with Commerce specifics...

Guest Ian Wong

Just as a quick note Carolyn. To receive private messages you need to activate that option under your My Preferences page which is located in your Control Center. Jetson, I also think that you'll need to be registered with EZBoard in order to send those private messages, which would go directly to Carolyn's email.

Private messaging is a way to send and receive between EZBoard members without revealing your email address to either party, or the public.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Thanks alot you've made my decision that much easier

I am going for it!!!! Thanks again and good luck with everything, who knows I might see you at Mac!

Archived