Premed 101 Forums

B.Ed not accepted for Ontario Schools!

I graduated with a B.Sc 3 years ago, and want to do occupational therapy -- so I've been taking more prerequisite courses, and courses to increase my GPA. Technically, I am registered in the B.Ed After Degree program the the U of A (normally the B.Ed degree at the U of A is 4 years) to take courses. However, schools in Ontario seem to not accept the courses that I completed under the B.Ed designation, even if I already have a B.Sc degree that qualifies, and even though those courses would normally be considered if I was under a different degree designation (e.g. Educational Psychology, Sociology, Psychology). Does anybody know why that is? Or have I been misinformed?

Hey Yulan,

I had the same concerns, given that I am taking a 4 year B.Ed degree program at the U of A. I phoned the ORPAS office and the lady explained that in Ontario, they have a one year Bachelor of Education program for those that have already completed a Bachelor's Degree and that those are considered differently.

I'm not sure what would happen for a 2 year after degree. I assume they still take your courses, but only the courses you received a grade in (no pass/fail, or your IPT/APT credit courses in this instance). Then they would probably take courses from your previous degree to fill the remaining courses in order to meet the 20 course requirement for application.

So your courses (save your IPT/APT courses) should still count.

Hope that helped! I would still call the ORPAs office just to confirm though. I called them last December, so things may have changed since then.

Archived