Premed 101 Forums

Need help with OOP application

murphy303

Hey All

Applying to McGill. I don't know much about the application process at this school... I am OOP. But what an AWESOME school with a great rep. Would be amazing to study there...!

First degree in challenging area of bioinformatics (McGill GPA ~3.3). Pre-req average is around ~3.2 (yuck). For my 2nd degree: OMSAS GPA 3.98, McGill GPA 4.0

Extra-currics are excellent... years of Big Brothers, hospital volunteering, community outreach work, hundreds of hours of pro-bono professional services, camp instructor, Teaching assistant, fundraising... created a successful initiative working with seniors, etc., I have above average for hobbies/skills/life experiences, etc.

Published medical research paper as an undergrad student, worked in 2 labs at different universities on various projects, etc. Was paid as a URA.

So, a couple questions to those who are in the know about McGill...

1. Is it worth applying?

2. Is my pre-req situation gonna eff me? Do pre-reqs matter at all?

3. Include MCAT?

4. Anybody know more about whether you can apply this cycle with less than 45 credits since they moved the app deadline?

THANKS EVERYBODY... GAWD HELP ME AT MCGILL AS OOP (900 apps for 9 spots, ROFL).. but REJECTED AT UBC 3 times!!! FML :( :( :(

Hey Murphy,

I would definitely apply. Let McGill decide whether you'll get in or not, don't limit yourself by not applying!

I am in Med-1 at McGill and I had some concerns about my GPA as well (cumulative < 3.2)! Overall your grades seem decent and your EC's are all star. You said you have two undergrads?

I wouldn't include your mcat, since it falls around the average mcat of all applicants and doesn't do much to improve the view of your academics.

Hope this helps!

Hey Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I am worried because on their website is says you need to have a pre-req GPA. I'm aware that my MCAT score is low for OOP, however, this is from the McGill website:

Successful applicants tend to have a science prerequisite GPA (SciGPA) above 3.5 (average approximately 3.8), or an MCAT equal to or greater than 30 (average approximately 33). Applicants with a SciGPA below 3.2 or with an MCAT below 27 are rarely considered.

I think my pre-req GPA is like ~3.2, although my average science score is a 12 (so, typical science scores on a 36 MCAT).

I did my pre-reqs like 7 years ago, when I was a drunk 18 year-old. Since then I have mastered that stuff and my MCAT score shows decent performance in Science.

Tough call for sure. I am leaning towards including MCAT right now. :eek:

Hey Murphy,

I would definitely apply. Let McGill decide whether you'll get in or not, don't limit yourself by not applying!

I am in Med-1 at McGill and I had some concerns about my GPA as well (cumulative < 3.2)! Overall your grades seem decent and your EC's are all star. You said you have two undergrads?

I wouldn't include your mcat, since it falls around the average mcat of all applicants and doesn't do much to improve the view of your academics.

Hope this helps!

You have a cumulative GPA under 3.2 and you got into McGill? Please tell me you have a stellar science GPA or something...

Hey Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I am worried because on their website is says you need to have a pre-req GPA. I'm aware that my MCAT score is low for OOP, however, this is from the McGill website:

I think my pre-req GPA is like ~3.2, although my average science score is a 12 (so, typical science scores on a 36 MCAT).

I did my pre-reqs like 7 years ago, when I was a drunk 18 year-old. Since then I have mastered that stuff and my MCAT score shows decent performance in Science.

Tough call for sure. I am leaning towards including MCAT right now. :eek:

What do you mean when you say your average science score is 12? Your mcat is 33O right?

what types of content do people use for the abstract?

i guess the focus is more personal, rather than the "what makes a good physician" part...

i have 1000s of hour of community work, a dozen letters of recommendation each from a different volunteer organization, etc.

i feel like thats more important than published research & academic achievements... not sure how you express that without sound like a pompous douche though ;)

Your journey leading to medicine will be illustrative of the traits of a physician be it traits acquired in sports, music, dance, theatre, etc and this embraces your volunteering too. Published research & academic achievements can be a small part of this.

Remember, the abstract is a reduced narrative that highlights its essence. Perhaps, think of it like an obituary, lol. :P capsulizing your life toward medicine.

They will know of the published research so you do not need to emphasize it and doing so, would be an error in my judgment.

Archived