Premed 101 Forums

What is the best program for undergrad?

I am in engineering at UWO. Have you heard of the concurrent engineering and medicine program? Google it if you haven't. Engineering is A LOT of work, but you are guaranteed a job if you don't get into med school. I also like the atmosphere - I have heard biomed is very competitive (because everyone wants to get into med school), whereas with engineering everyone is willing to help each other.

The only downside is studying for the MCAT - I was way behind in bio/chem/orgo. I took a prep course and did well enough, but it definitely wasn't the easiest way to get a good MCAT score.

I am in engineering at UWO. Have you heard of the concurrent engineering and medicine program? Google it if you haven't. Engineering is A LOT of work, but you are guaranteed a job if you don't get into med school. I also like the atmosphere - I have heard biomed is very competitive (because everyone wants to get into med school), whereas with engineering everyone is willing to help each other.

The only downside is studying for the MCAT - I was way behind in bio/chem/orgo. I took a prep course and did well enough, but it definitely wasn't the easiest way to get a good MCAT score.

A guaranteed a job a new engineering grad? Don't think so. Nothing is guaranteed these days in any field, esp an engineering grad with no experience.

****ty as it is

A guaranteed a job a new engineering grad? Don't think so. Nothing is guaranteed these days in any field, esp an engineering grad with no experience.

****ty as it is

There are a lot more job opportunities for engineers than someone with a biomed degree, biology, chemistry, etc.

http://www.coss.fsu.edu/economics/economics/salary

Just sayin' ;) That's 7 out of the top 10.

There are a lot more job opportunities for engineers than someone with a biomed degree, biology, chemistry, etc.

http://www.coss.fsu.edu/economics/economics/salary

Just sayin' ;) That's 7 out of the top 10.

Actually that's not what you said at all. What you said was that because you chose Engineering that you're guaranteed a job which is most definitely not true. Not In Canada or the US (where that link came from).

You should probably speak to real people in the industry about job prospects because is isnt a guaranteed anything just because you choose Engineering unfortunately.

My fiance runs her own firm and used to sit on the PEO board. She's seen the struggles new grads are having finding these guaranteed jobs you speak of. She'll hire a technologist or a drafts person (even new grad) before she'd hire an Engineerimg student - they're more productive right out of school than Engineering grads are.

Now you might have an easier time then someone who took biology but i know nothing about the job market for biologists so i won't speak to a topic which i am not informed about.

Actually that's not what you said at all. What you said was that because you chose Engineering that you're guaranteed a job which is most definitely not true. Not In Canada or the US (where that link came from).

You should probably speak to real people in the industry about job prospects because is isnt a guaranteed anything just because you choose Engineering unfortunately.

My fiance runs her own firm and used to sit on the PEO board. She's seen the struggles new grads are having finding these guaranteed jobs you speak of. She'll hire a technologist or a drafts person (even new grad) before she'd hire an Engineerimg student - they're more productive right out of school than Engineering grads are.

Now you might have an easier time then someone who took biology but i know nothing about the job market for biologists so i won't speak to a topic which i am not informed about.

lol jeez I will change my statement to "almost guaranteed" then. Almost 96% employment rate after 6 months, 98% employment rate after 2 years sounds good to me. Higher than the science employment rate.

http://www.ipb.uwo.ca/rates.php (for Western grads)

Not to mention the many opportunities for paid co-ops and internships for engineers while still in school (granted, I'm sure there are some co-ops or internships for science students as well).

Archived