Premed 101 Forums

UBC application procedures

I've been calling UBC all day but no one's answering. It says that, "admission to the dental program is based primarily on academic ability and personal qualities as evidenced by pre-dental scholastic records, aptitude tests, letters of recommendation, personal essays, personal interviews, and Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Assessment".

1. I don't see anything about submitting a personal essay in the "How to apply" section lower down on the page. Do we need to submit a personal essay for UBC?

2. Is the UBC Open House by invite only (where the PBL sessions take place) and the interviews on a separate date? I ask because usually open houses are just that; opened to everyone and not by invite only.

3. Do we really need to submit our high school transcripts? (I didn't go to UBC, I'm from Montreal and went to McGill.)

Thanks!

1. Yes, UBC requires a personal essay. When you fill out the lengthy online application, there will be a box where you can enter in your essay.

2. Yes the UBC open house is by invite only. If you are invited for an interview and wish you keep your application active, it is mandatory to attend this. They will ensure that you are present from the start to end of that day. PBL sessions and interviews take place the following day.

3. Yes you really need to submit high school transcripts. It's a pain and I don't know why they ask for it.

I honestly think the high school transcript is for identifying BC residence only. If you are applying as OOP you may not need to submit it. And for sure they do not look at your marks in high school cos people going to UBC for undergrad don't even need to submit high school transcript.

Archived