Premed 101 Forums

Round 1 program & school specific application CaRMS stats/report

Dear Premed101'ers:

Is there a CaRMS report/stat on the number of applicants (in round I) to a specific program/discipline in a specific school? I only see the "PDF - Match Results of CMGs by School of Residency and Discipline" (for round I) on the CaRMS website, this document tells me the number of applicants matched to a specific discipline at a specific school. However I would also like to know the number of applicants that applied to a specific discipline at a specific school to begin with so that I can roughly gauge how picky a school is.

Thanks,

mcater2006

As far as I know, CaRMS does not publicize the number of people who apply to specific programs.

In any case, these numbers would be meaningless since you wouldn't know how many of them ranked a given program or how many of them were ranked by that school.

In other words, if I tell you that 150 people applied to rads at U of T, then you still wouldn't know: how many interviewed, how many were actually ranked by the program, etc....

You can use the 2012 quotas which are publicized on the CaRMS website to gauge how competitive the programs are...

Several years ago - correct me if I'm wrong - , I believe the program directory did include number of applicants in the description for each program. You can ask CaRMS why that information is not available.

In any case, as justletmein said, this information would not necessarily tell you how competitive a program is, seeing as this is primarily driven by number of applicants (however many take it into their heads to apply) divided by number of spots (public info, set by PGME funding). Neither of these have very much to do with the program or you, the individual applicant.

Archived