Premed 101 Forums

Best ICU electives?

• 2 months later...

All of the Toronto sites are very good, particularly:

- St Mike's

- Mt Sinai

- Toronto Western.

Sunnybrook can be good, if a bit busy at times. Toronto General can be a bit repetitive with all the lung transplants, but the cardiac and respiratory physiology you can learn there as a result is incredible (I especially appreciated this when I was an ICU fellow there).

I can only speak for my Dal rotation at the QEII, but it was a great experience.

There are two ICUs (well, three including the CVICU), one which handles most of the trauma and tends to be heavy on neuro patients, and another which tends to get the overdoses, transfers from peripheral hospitals, febrile neutropenia and other heme patients, and all of the elective general surgery, ENT, thoracic, and kidney/liver transplant patients. Essentially all the oncology goes to that ICU.

For a four-week rotation there are daily seminars which are "case-based" and which require some preparation in terms of reading and going through the cases. Lots of teaching, though I think that the onus has gone a bit far toward the housestaff as opposed to didactic teaching from staff. There are also weekly simulation lab sessions for things like airway management skills and ACLS.

As an alternative, it would also be possible to do an elective in the newer Med/Surg IMCU. There's a fair mix of sick patients, many of whom still require ventilatory support.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived