Premed 101 Forums

So, how do you feel after doing the Casper?

Nobody can knock on Mac for technical difficulties. Its gonna take something EPIC to top Queen's from last year :P

Lol agreed. Oh wait, Mac can send out acceptances/invites to interviews...and then have to revert their decision and hand out rejections :P Much worse than the vice-versa that Queen's did IMO

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to try and ease some people's minds a bit by saying that I did CASPer last year and got an interview and I felt that it went awful last year. I often answered the 3rd question with just a few words or sentences or it would cut me off before I could finish a sentence and there were a ton of spelling errors. I felt extremely rushed and thought my answers were silly and thought there was absolutely no way i was getting an interview and I still got one with a mediocre GPA (3.79) and a 10 in verbal.

I felt the exact same way this year, which was a little frustrating because I thought I'd feel better about it the second time around, but hopefully (somehow) ill get an interview again and be able to take another stab at the MMI.

So for those of you that are beating yourselves up for not answering questions or not typing enough don't stress about it cause you may still have a good chance of getting an interview and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised in jan/feb! let the waiting game begin...

Agreed... 3.79GPA was > the average accepted GPA for Mac last year.

Thanks for the kind words though.

Also, to add... any justifiable reason for why they do not release the CASPer scores to students? it would be interesting to see how we actually did. The ucalgary med process is far superior to any other school imo. They actually tell you where you ranked compared to others... pure transparency.

Common theme among 95-98% of all universities. Personally, I'd like to know what my weaknesses were/are

any justifiable reason for why they do not release the CASPer scores to students?

I think it is pretty clear, that Mac does not want anyone to actually know what they are looking for in CASPer. They don't want anyone to 'game' the system.

As proof of this, at the info sessions, I saw people directly ask Wendy Edge what they were looking for in CASPer. Her response was essentially, "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."

Keeping everyone's scores secret is just another way to protect the secret and hence the integrity of the system.

Remember, the school's goal is to pick good student to become doctors. It is not to tell you about your own strengths and weaknesses.

I think it is pretty clear, that Mac does not want anyone to actually know what they are looking for in CASPer. They don't want anyone to 'game' the system.

As proof of this, at the info sessions, I saw people directly ask Wendy Edge what they were looking for in CASPer. Her response was essentially, "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."

Keeping everyone's scores secret is just another way to protect the secret and hence the integrity of the system.

Remember, the school's goal is to pick good student to become doctors. It is not to tell you about your own strengths and weaknesses.

The problem is when you have schools with different standards and reasons, it's hard to gauge what exactly goes wrong with an application

hey guys...

So I think some people are in the same boat here.... I did my Casper on the 23rd and still have not gotten any email saying that my survey has been submitted or that I finished Caper. I got the one that stated I started, but thats all.... anyone else having this problem still? should we be concerned? who do we contact to inquire further?

After I did casper I had the screenshot that said everything submitted and its safe to log out now.....but now im a little nervous.:confused:

Just got this email today...

Dear McMaster Applicant

Thank you for reporting your CASPer difficulties/comments to the CASPer Helpdesk on your CASPer test day. The CASPer committee has now reviewed all helpdesk (and email) reports along with test logs.

Your test was deemed complete and therefore, no further action is required by you.

Just got this email today...

Dear McMaster Applicant

Thank you for reporting your CASPer difficulties/comments to the CASPer Helpdesk on your CASPer test day. The CASPer committee has now reviewed all helpdesk (and email) reports along with test logs.

Your test was deemed complete and therefore, no further action is required by you.

Need some context here

Yes you do....they send one saying the survey is completed, which also means you've completed CASPer. I got mine within an hour of finishing.

Hmmm... I didn't get an e-mail after completing the survey... I did get a page at the end of my test saying something like "thank you, your answers have been submitted"......

I only got an e-mail saying basically "Yay! Congrats! You started capser!".... While I was doing capser:rolleyes:

Yes you do....they send one saying the survey is completed, which also means you've completed CASPer. I got mine within an hour of finishing.
I wasn't talking about the survey though. People want emails that say "You've completed/submitted CASPer" and I was simply stating that people won't get an email like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Casper.....

Honestly, after doing it, I have no idea where I fall. A part of me thinks "you did decent considering the circumstances". Another part of me thinks "what the hell were you thinking when you answered those questions".

For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to assume that I'm getting rejected from Mac. I have no idea how my application looks like, and there's no point worrying (hopefully queens/ottawa/To will show me some love haha)

• 4 weeks later...

I feel worse as time has gone on. Reading news articles and going "ohhh... that's what they were getting at." Advice to applicants: start reading the news early! not a few weeks before CASPer....that's not enough time to get a sense of what's happening in Canada.

I feel worse as time has gone on. Reading news articles and going "ohhh... that's what they were getting at." Advice to applicants: start reading the news early! not a few weeks before CASPer....that's not enough time to get a sense of what's happening in Canada.

I really don't mean to be a jerk, but it saddens me a bit that there are people out there who feel they need to watch the news just to do well on tests like Casper and the MMI. I suppose only in a perfect world would everyone genuinely have interest in what was going on in the world around them...

Archived