Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD

Guest Applicant

Guest Applicant

I've been looking into this as much as the MD stream and was wondering if anyone could give me their comments on this one. As an MD/PhD are you at a great disadvantage to study for the licensing exams than those who go through medical school straight without the PhD years in between? - (I think this question was posted somewhere else....) Is it wise to enquire about it during an "MD-only" interview ? - I have the feeling that admissions at some schools are interested in having students dedicated solely to practice...although I admit that this is 'just a feeling'.

Please, any comments?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Applicant,

I cannot answer your question re: the experience of MD/PhD applicants in medical school, but with respect to the MD-specific interview and your proposed inquiry, I don't know that that is the proper forum for it. During both of my MD-specific interviews, the point that I'm applying to the MD/PhD program came up and was discussed and each interviewer seemed to have their own bent on the subject (one seemed more enthusiastic about the research end of things and the other seemed to ask more about my future clinical practice model), so it really depends on the attitudes/values of your interviewers.

What I would suggest to you to clarify this issue, is to do a number of things: a) get in touch with the MD/PhD offices of the schools which interest you and speak to the staff there; B) attend any MD/PhD open houses of schools that may be of interest so that you can chat with current program participants about their experiences; c) talk with the Directors of the MD/PhD programs of interest as to how they aim to help MD/PhD students through the process, e.g., Dr. Chow at UBC chooses to be quite involved during the span of the MD/PhD students' experience, which I feel is a valuable support and great help when trying to execute the timely completion of a thesis along with undergrad MD progress.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived