Premed 101 Forums

summer courses

Guest reahg

Some count them, many don't. You need to check with each school individually. The schools that don't accept them will usually make an exception for prerequisite courses and count them in your prerequisite average, but not your overall.

Don't know what school your thinking about, but I know that UBC for one does take all summer classes into account.

• 4 months later...

Hi Katie,

This may sound like a stupid question but which average does med schools look at? Your prereq or your overall?

Also, what if I take a recommended course for med school in the summer... do you think I should still check with the med schools to see if it is okay.

Guest Liana

Hi tina,

I would seriously check with the medical schools before taking required courses in the summer (particularly any of the required chemistries, or english). The way that summer courses are looked at wholly depends on the school. Queen's will include every undergrad course (including summer or distance ed courses) in your GPA, whereas Ottawa will only include those taken during the school year (ie, full time). Theoretically, one should be able to get away from the "summer" exclusion, if they were to take a full courseload (at a school with a full semester, especially those schools that offer semester-based co-op programs).

Archived