Premed 101 Forums

Kinesiology at York

Hello All,

Quick question: I noticed some of the non-trads are taking the York BSc in Kinesiology. I was just wondering, is there a particular reason for taking the BSc rather than the BA?

It seems like the BA is easier for a non-trad to squeeze into 2 years and still get past Western's 3/5 requirement.

Any thought?

Thank you,

NewDirection

I would always, always take a science degree if planning for med school.

Not only because it's better prep, but if you look at some med school admissions statistics, it's pretty clear who they prefer.

Yes you CAN get in with a BA - but why not the BSc?

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Classof2014.pdf

Over 200 acceptances, only 20 or so from the arts.

How is it some people got in with a GPA of 3.00?? =/

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know how the transfer credit process works. Do I apply, and then after (when hopefully I'm admitted) get assessed for transfer credits? Or is there some way of figuring out what you will get credit for in advance, even if its not official.

It will have to be done after you apply, unfortunately. However, depending on the department they might give you a quick assessment, but only if you ask for like 1 or 2 courses (ie ones you are unsure about). That's what happened to me.

Hi all,

Bsc shouldn't be too competitive or any other programs for that matter. York has experienced downturn in enrollment this year due to many reasons, which I'm sure you all are awared of (campus security, strike etc). I'm finishing up my kine degree here at York and it's really good program with solid track record in research. When people say "a lot" from kine get in, it really means less than 10 from graduating class each year. Bear in mind, kine starts off strong in terms of enrollment number (~700), but only few graduates even with honour standing set at 5/9 (around C I think).

By the way, we're on the verge of another strike (just so you know last resolution was government mandate meaning full agreement was never reached) so those who are applying this year may get late response from the school, but definitely have better chance of getting in. Besides I never heard of anyone with a degree in something get turned down from any programs here at York.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived