Premed 101 Forums

U.S Citizenship and Medical schools

Emphi

Just a little bit of confusion pertaining to the discussion of American schools accepting Canadian students.

Does holding dual citizenship help your case or will the fact that I am doing my undergraduate at a Canadian school still mean I hold a disadvantage applying to some American schools?

Essentially, do American schools view you as an "American" student as long as you hold American citizenship despite the fact that you hold a Canadian undergraduate degree or will you be viewed a a Canadian student?

Some schools say you must have completed undergrad. at an American school. If you hold a US passport, you are a US citizen and can apply as an Out of State American. However, you need to double check websites to make sure that they say something like completed courses at an accredited school - and that your undergrad institution is accredited. I have been going through this application cycle without many problems (US citizen - completed undergrad at U of T). The only issue is that you will be considered Out of State for all schools so tuition is quite a lot higher (comparable to the Caribbean); and instate candidates are usually given priority .

Just a little bit of confusion pertaining to the discussion of American schools accepting Canadian students.

Does holding dual citizenship help your case or will the fact that I am doing my undergraduate at a Canadian school still mean I hold a disadvantage applying to some American schools?

Essentially, do American schools view you as an "American" student as long as you hold American citizenship despite the fact that you hold a Canadian undergraduate degree or will you be viewed a a Canadian student?

The only issue is that you will be considered Out of State for all schools so tuition is quite a lot higher (comparable to the Caribbean); and instate candidates are usually given priority .

doesn't this only apply to public schools? I was under the impression that private schools don't care if you're instate, out-of-state or international.

Also, tuition is the same for in-state and out-of-state at private schools.

doesn't this only apply to public schools? I was under the impression that private schools don't care if you're instate, out-of-state or international.

Some private schools don't care but and some do. Ie. Brown doesn't accept Canadians.

Yes, at least Canadians pay a similar tuition as Americans at private schools, albeit without the chance for financial aid (most schools).

I am sorry, I was not aware of the private school difference. I have only interviewed at public schools so far.

Archived