Premed 101 Forums

Hating on premeds

PhoenixFlare500

Lately I've noticed quite a few comments about premeds, how they essentially suck at life and how the posters are generally better than them. Maybe not in those words but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. My question to the members of this forum, specifically those that have made these kind of comments is this: What makes you so different from them? What right do you have to say that premeds are idiots when you're in fact gunning for med as well? When you make quality judgments against this group are you not also judging the majority of the active population on this forum? Are you generalizing an entire group of people that includes yourself based on the actions of a few noticeable characters? I'm quite curious about this.

Lately I've noticed quite a few comments about premeds, how they essentially suck at life and how the posters are generally better than them. Maybe not in those words but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. My question to the members of this forum, specifically those that have made these kind of comments is this: What makes you so different from them? What right do you have to say that premeds are idiots when you're in fact gunning for med as well? When you make quality judgments against this group are you not also judging the majority of the active population on this forum? Are you generalizing an entire group of people that includes yourself based on the actions of a few noticeable characters? I'm quite curious about this.

I dislike cutthroat premeds because of their hypocracy and alterior motives. The ones that snake everyone around them to get ahead yet they say that they want to become doctors to help other people. If their goal was to help others it would be instinctual for them to help others rather than sabotaging them directly or indirectly by witholding help that they could've provided. Seeing that in someone to me means they want to become a doctor for A. the paycheck or B. the associated prestige/wanting to become a doctor/ feeding their ego.

I think it should be understood that when someone says "those goddamn premeds, I hate them so much" they're talking about the aforementioned kind, not just anyone that wants to get into medical school. Although with some people that don't examine people objectively, they'll associate any premed with a certain bad experience they may have had and make generalizations.

At the beginning of the term when the prof asks people about careers and who wants to be a doctor.. people that put their hands up.. those are the *******s of the class. I'm doing my dissertation on it. Will keep you posted.

lmao! that actually made me laugh, since I remember when this happened in first year bio(2 sections, 800 kids in each - so a lot of kids put their hands up) and the prof was just like, "........ yeah, only about 10 of you in here will actually make it"

At the beginning of the term when the prof asks people about careers and who wants to be a doctor.. people that put their hands up.. those are the *******s of the class. I'm doing my dissertation on it. Will keep you posted.
Uh, I put up my hand. I wanted to be a doctor. I don't see why it's wrong for anyone to put up their hand for that. I feel that people think premeds ought to be embarrassed for wanting to get into medicine, but in all honestly who the **** cares? Do what you want to do.

I dislike cutthroat premeds because of their hypocracy and alterior motives. The ones that snake everyone around them to get ahead yet they say that they want to become doctors to help other people. If their goal was to help others it would be instinctual for them to help others rather than sabotaging them directly or indirectly by witholding help that they could've provided. Seeing that in someone to me means they want to become a doctor for A. the paycheck or B. the associated prestige/wanting to become a doctor/ feeding their ego.

I think it should be understood that when someone says "those goddamn premeds, I hate them so much" they're talking about the aforementioned kind, not just anyone that wants to get into medical school. Although with some people that don't examine people objectively, they'll associate any premed with a certain bad experience they may have had and make generalizations.

+1

Uh, I put up my hand. I wanted to be a doctor. I don't see why it's wrong for anyone to put up their hand for that. I feel that people think premeds ought to be embarrassed for wanting to get into medicine, but in all honestly who the **** cares? Do what you want to do.

+1,

and plus, everyone has their own way of socializing and stuff. Though if someone asked for my help, and if I could help them, I certainly will; if you do have the moment spared for a quick chat /w'e- why not?

Yeah but it seems like people here go out of their way to avoid all premeds in general, giving advice like avoiding premed groups that can help you network and find resources and start practice interviews, or not socializing with other premeds that you might be able to study with and possibly learn from. I mean sure you'll get some jerks that go out of their way to screw you over, but then again I think it could also be a detriment to hang out with people that don't want to get into such competitive programs and go out all the time when you're not able to 'cause you have to study (depending on how good both parties are at studying the required material).

As for the people that keep saying these things, I gotta wonder how they can come here to take advice from other people on this forum, most of whom are premeds that could easily be trying to sabotage you. You could say you only listen to the people that got into med school but then again how do you know all those sigs are genuine? I could easily make a random account, pretend to be nice to people and slowly work my way into people's good books while feeding them bad advice and information. Ok maybe not easily but if you think about it, if someone goes ripping pages out of library textbooks and lying to people's faces about coursework, it's a lot safer to also go on an internet forum and lie to/manipulate people anonymously.

Amen!

I generally don't like premeds because most I have met were of this kind. It just makes me bitter towards helping others. But then occasionally you meet a really nice individual and they change your mind again.

Yeah but it seems like people here go out of their way to avoid all premeds in general, giving advice like avoiding premed groups that can help you network and find resources and start practice interviews, or not socializing with other premeds that you might be able to study with and possibly learn from. I mean sure you'll get some jerks that go out of their way to screw you over, but then again I think it could also be a detriment to hang out with people that don't want to get into such competitive programs and go out all the time when you're not able to 'cause you have to study (depending on how good both parties are at studying the required material).

I personally don't really even want premed close friends EVEN if they're super nice, they're useful to have, don't get me wrong, but thank god for my teacher-college friends because they really calm me down. I think it's detrimental to have a constant reminder next to you about all the things you need to perfect/do/ace/whatever. It's good to know the general idea on how to get into med but when people start worrying about details (which you see so often here, and yes, I am victim to this!) it starts to really eff your mind up lol.

I personally don't really even want premed close friends EVEN if they're super nice, they're useful to have, don't get me wrong, but thank god for my teacher-college friends because they really calm me down. I think it's detrimental to have a constant reminder next to you about all the things you need to perfect/do/ace/whatever. It's good to know the general idea on how to get into med but when people start worrying about details (which you see so often here, and yes, I am victim to this!) it starts to really eff your mind up lol.

I'd say it's more character flaws with the individual than the others.

Getting into med school is not a life or death situation. These types of things really are the lowest of the low when it comes to honest to goodness real problems.

I learned about 2 students last week who were living in parks while attempting to go to school. THAT's an honest to goodness problem.

I am not in a typical premed program, so the only 'premeds' that I really interact are all of you PM101ers. And in general I feel quite positive about you guys :).

Maybe if I was in a program filled with premeds I would feel different. But a lot of the time I would love to have someone who is going through the same stuff as me to talk with. That said, I am blessed to have great friends who listen to me rant about med stuff and are cheering for me.

Archived