Premed 101 Forums

Referencing software

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

I have just recently learned that referencing software exists, which can actually replace many of the activities that, up to now, I've been doing by hand. I'd like to nip out soon and pick up some of this software to tackle a few projects that I have on the go, but there are a number of different types: End-Notes, ProCite, Reference Manager, to name a few to select from.

I've had a read of some reviews, but given that there's probably a few denizens of the board who have probably had some experience in their travels with this type of software, would you be willing to provide some reviews/tips/experiences?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest strider2004

Reference manager is nice. It can automatically link with pubmed and search for reference for you so you don't have to manually type everything in. Very smooth.

Guest cheech10

I used endnote for a long paper I wrote about a month ago. Priceless stuff. It can also link remotely to databases, so you can conduct your searches from within the program (rather than the much slower NCBI site). Customizable formatting, easy entry of new references, automatic updating, and a plug-in for MS Word. I recommend it (or a similar program) to anyone writing papers.

Guest AniyaSG

I used an old version of Reference Manager for my MSc thesis. I would never write a paper witout this type of software again. A little tricky to figure out but worth every second :) I would imagine most programs are fairly similar to one another... so get whatever is cheapest or whatever you can get your hands on...

Edit: fixed a brutal typo ><. Also, I do believe Reference Manager offers a free trial on their website if anyone is interested.

Guest PeterHill0501

What does this software cost? Where is it available? Is a demo available via the web? Any input would be appreciated.

Guest Kirsteen

...and as to cost, the UT bookstore is offering Endnote or Reference Manager to students at a discounted price of $180 with a student card.

Cheers for your input,

Kirsteen

Archived