Premed 101 Forums

Research Experience

People may have asked this multiple times but here we go again:

I'm a third year student who applied this year. Yes I have done research for three years but no publication....as a third year student, is a publication/poster presentation an absolute mandatory to stand a bare minimum chance of being accepted? Anyone in Ottawa med currently or in not-too-long-ago history who's gotten in without any research or without publication/poster presentation?

Friend of mine got accepted after 3 years and didn't do any research. He had stellar marks and EC's though, so def's make sure you're still doing something meaningful with your time.

Remember that UoO only looks at EC's that you've done in university!!

thanks CaptainCrunchMan!

I wonder what's the reason behind.. "Only the activities completed during your postsecondary (university) studies will be used in the assessment of your detailed submission."

so for applicants that completed an undergradute degree, they can't add to their ECs by working/volunteering/researching in health-care, unless they do another degree (either second undergrad or grad)? yet same activities of same duration completed during university (such as co-op, taken years off school, etc.) can be assessed? makes me wonder how it's assessed for applicants whom 3 recent years span btw 2 degrees with years of working in btw.

Or maybe it simply means activities prior to postsecondary (university) studies will not be assessed..

Don't quote me but I go to uottawa and went to a presentation by the dean of admissions and he said to keep everyone on equal playing ground they only look at undergrad (grades for sure and I think activities as well but I cannot completely recall). You can always email them or call and they would be able to give you a definitive response.

thanks CaptainCrunchMan!

I wonder what's the reason behind.. "Only the activities completed during your postsecondary (university) studies will be used in the assessment of your detailed submission."

so for applicants that completed an undergradute degree, they can't add to their ECs by working/volunteering/researching in health-care, unless they do another degree (either second undergrad or grad)? yet same activities of same duration completed during university (such as co-op, taken years off school, etc.) can be assessed? makes me wonder how it's assessed for applicants whom 3 recent years span btw 2 degrees with years of working in btw.

Or maybe it simply means activities prior to postsecondary (university) studies will not be assessed..

this part of the application made very very nervous as well..

Ottawa only looks at activities you did AFTER high school, or in other words, DURING undergrad. Same applies for grades. As for the research part of the application, definitely not a must, since I got in after third year with no research experience at all. Probably an advantage though. The thing that really matters is to ace your interview, if you're lucky enough to get one.

Hi all,

Hope these emails clarify,

Email 1,

In answer to your Inquiry 1, we always assess the activities completed during the most recent three years of full time undergraduate studies.

Email 2,

From your reply I understand that activities completed both before and after the most recent three years will not be assessed. Does that mean applicants who already meet the 3-year GPA requirement (for ex. completed the degree) cannot enhance their extra curricular part of their applications in any ways? Unless they take additional full-time school years?

ANSWER: This is correct.

If in-between the most recent three years I take a full academic year off school to conduct a science research or work/volunteer at a hospital. Will activities completed during that year be assessed?

ANSWER: They will not be assess however if you are successful in receiving an invitation to an interview, you will have the opportunity to discuss these achievements.

How about activities completed in the summer May-August immediately following the latest of the most recent years? Or activities completed in the summer May-August immediately prior to the earliest of the most recent years?

ANSWER: Activities completed in the summers between the three years required will be assess however those completed in the summer before the undergraduate studies and after the degree is completed will not count.

if they're not completed during the most recent three years of full time undergraduate studies, any grades nor activities will not be used in the assessment of your detailed submission.

'however if you are successful in receiving an invitation to an interview, you will have the opportunity to discuss these achievements.'

I guess it all means that those activities will not aid in getting the interview invitation as they will not be assessed in the detailed submission, but will help in the interview if one gets the chance. Anyone that has gone through the ottawa interview plz confirm.

I have not read anything similar for other universities yet.

Hi all,

Email 2,

From your reply I understand that activities completed both before and after the most recent three years will not be assessed. Does that mean applicants who already meet the 3-year GPA requirement (for ex. completed the degree) cannot enhance their extra curricular part of their applications in any ways? Unless they take additional full-time school years?

ANSWER: This is correct.

If in-between the most recent three years I take a full academic year off school to conduct a science research or work/volunteer at a hospital. Will activities completed during that year be assessed?

ANSWER: They will not be assess however if you are successful in receiving an invitation to an interview, you will have the opportunity to discuss these achievements.

That's inconceivable!

Archived