Premed 101 Forums

University Biology Without High School

From what I remember, I found 1st year uni biology to be quite similar to 12U biology. The difference is, it's taught at a much faster pace, without the same amount of support (1 prof per ~700 students vs 1 teacher per 30) and a lot of self-directed learning.

So material wise it's very similar, but requires a lot more effort, time and dedication.

From what I remember, I found 1st year uni biology to be quite similar to 12U biology. The difference is, it's taught at a much faster pace, without the same amount of support (1 prof per ~700 students vs 1 teacher per 30) and a lot of self-directed learning.

So material wise it's very similar, but requires a lot more effort, time and dedication.

QFT. also, i think it goes a bit more in depth, but ya shouldnt be a problem.

Hello All!

Do you think it's possible to do well in first year biology (York University) without first taking 12U biology?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my study plan and will share it soon.

Thank you,

NewDirection

First year bio at york is really easy, there's minimal background knowledge needed, the basic background stuff you need to know is in the back of the textbook in an index.

I went to a high school that taught biology poorly and by the time I went to university I had already forgotten what I had learned. As long as you keep on top of the work and get help when needed you'll be fine.

Right on, Forgot to mention that York is rated number 1 in canada for student services. There's personal tutors available every day at Bethune College (faculty of science) and on top of that there are weekly open-forum sessions where they take up questions and give you practice tests and such.

Thanks for all your responses. That takes a load off, that's for sure.

Due to scheduling issues I'm also taking Chem 2 before Chem 1 at York. I hope this doesn't pose a problem. I took 12U chem and I didn't struggle too much (except with labs).

To the person asking about my average, I graduated from high school (OAC) in 2002 in the low 90's. WOW, that was a long time ago!

Right on, Forgot to mention that York is rated number 1 in canada for student services. There's personal tutors available every day at Bethune College (faculty of science) and on top of that there are weekly open-forum sessions where they take up questions and give you practice tests and such.

Thanks for the advice MeGusta, this is part of the reason I am going back to York. I really enjoyed their focus on the student.

Due to scheduling issues I'm also taking Chem 2 before Chem 1 at York. I hope this doesn't pose a problem. I took 12U chem and I didn't struggle too much (except with labs).

Yeah, this shouldn't be a problem since Chem 1 was inorganic Chem and Chem 2 was mostly organic.

i did like 6 bio courses without grade 10/11/12 bio (or any bio at all, lol) it's totally doable, i got an a- and a+ in the two intro bio courses i took (the usual ecological/evolutionary one and the standard intro cell bio). in fact, i think you're at an advantage because you don't take anything for granted and work harder (like the old paradox of doing better in harder courses)

Hello All!

Do you think it's possible to do well in first year biology (York University) without first taking 12U biology?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my study plan and will share it soon.

Thank you,

NewDirection

that's awesome, york sounds like a sweet university, and i've seen their campus, it's pretty sweet, not to mention they have one of the top law schools in the country, i never got why everyone trashes york, or for that matter, ryerson... i mean, u of t is nice, i love the u of t campus, you can't match the architecture of some of the older buildings but overall york seems like a cool place to study... i didn't apply to ontario law schools but i'm definitely going to go for first year transfer to york or apply there next year

that's awesome, york sounds like a sweet university, and i've seen their campus, it's pretty sweet, not to mention they have one of the top law schools in the country, i never got why everyone trashes york, or for that matter, ryerson... i mean, u of t is nice, i love the u of t campus, you can't match the architecture of some of the older buildings but overall york seems like a cool place to study... i didn't apply to ontario law schools but i'm definitely going to go for first year transfer to york or apply there next year

you've seen York's campus and you think it is nice? :|

i did like 6 bio courses without grade 10/11/12 bio (or any bio at all, lol) it's totally doable, i got an a- and a+ in the two intro bio courses i took (the usual ecological/evolutionary one and the standard intro cell bio). in fact, i think you're at an advantage because you don't take anything for granted and work harder (like the old paradox of doing better in harder courses)

This is so true, so many people underestimate bio b/c they think it's all grade 12 review and that they don't need to study, and it is mostly review but material is presented slightly different and whatnot, but For the most part I think bio at York is pretty easy and is completely doable

People $H!T all over york because the people that go there are ridiculously stupid, you would not want to go to York for undergrad, people wouldn't understand what you're saying (you use relatively "big" words) lol

Oh and I fail to see the beauty in the grey concrete brutalist architecture at York I think it's quite depressing

Thanks for all your responses. That takes a load off, that's for sure.

To the person asking about my average, I graduated from high school (OAC) in 2002 in the low 90's. WOW, that was a long time ago!

Word of advice:

On the first day of class, the professor actually tells you to go over the first 200 pages (6 chapters) at home because it's expected that you know all of that stuff prior to starting the course. They're not bluffing, they really do expect you to know the basics of chemistry like the back of your hand.

Chem 1000 is also the hardest first year course so you definitely don't want to be disadvantaged.

If I were you I'd review all of grade 12 chem, or better yet get the chem textbook early and learn the first 6 chapters or so very well. For us kids that just finished high school most of it was pretty simple and most people just kinda skimmed through it briefly. For you though I'd imagine it would be different since the last time you did chem was 9 years ago

Word of advice:

On the first day of class, the professor actually tells you to go over the first 200 pages (6 chapters) at home because it's expected that you know all of that stuff prior to starting the course. They're not bluffing, they really do expect you to know the basics of chemistry like the back of your hand.

Chem 1000 is also the hardest first year course so you definitely don't want to be disadvantaged.

If I were you I'd review all of grade 12 chem, or better yet get the chem textbook early and learn the first 6 chapters or so very well. For us kids that just finished high school most of it was pretty simple and most people just kinda skimmed through it briefly. For you though I'd imagine it would be different since the last time you did chem was 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice MeGusta. Fortunately, I took 12U Chemistry a year ago in night school so I haven't quite forgotten everything yet. I definitely need the review, though, so I'll make sure to do that before I start.

BTW, do all Chem 1001 profs use the same textbook?

i just said it was sweet, lol, i'm actually uber positive in rl, lol, so me saying something is sweet doesn't mean it's the nicest place... mcgill, their buildings are ****ing amazing, and some of u of t's older buildings are just gorgeous... make no mistake about it, id rather be at mcgill or the u of t residences by rom, but york wasn't that bad... maybe it was because i didn't actually go to school there, i just looked around, i just never got why it was considered to be such a ****hole (i'm on the other side of canada, and while i've been to toronto a bunch cause i have family there, i don't really know anyone in rl who goes to york, ryerson or u of t and could describe the experience of attending in detail)

so people who go to york are stupid? there's lots of stupid people here too, lol... plus way too many hicks once you leave the safety of the university area

you've seen York's campus and you think it is nice? :|

meh, i don't have intellectual conversations at university usually, most people at my "esteemed" university don't understand what i'm saying, i had a one hour conversation with a girl who was passing informational pamphlets for "students against global apathy" and by the end she almost had a breakdown, simplified version: because of the profound realization that she was self-deceiving herself, and then she went on to say wow, i have a lot to think about, and i told her she wouldn't rethink her path, she would forget what i said, because she has too much too lose, and become a good obedient member of society, then she you're right again... so I don't tend to be academic around the university, i have a tendency to flip around peoples fundamental belief structures in under 30 minutes, and i'm a happy go lucky guy, better of sticking to talking about business, investing, sports, chicks, psychology, you can really talk intellectually about all kinds of things, the perfect elements for creating a commercially successful rock band, car aesthetics, sex. i save the philosophical bull**** for the left-leaning pseudo-inteligentsia people at the hipster cafe a block from campus... they're funny, they go to a soc of deviance class and all of a sudden they know foucault and have moronic debates about how we oppress third world countries while looking up facts on their (third-world assembled) macbooks. it's always fun debating those guys, because i look like some prepish business student, and they get their intelligentsia ass handed to them, you also find a lot of profs and working people there, they're good, you can have really constructive discussions with a lot of them, students, "intellectual hipster students" for the most part, are really annoying, because they actually suck (as in they're not that bright when you're not comparing them to an oil rig worker), and are full of themselves, plus they're all talk and no action... i prefer hanging out with ppl in pharmacy, eng, arts students who don't take themselves too seriously... because honestly, mental masturbation gets older after awhile, and that plaid, took, and mustache, make you look like a creepy sex predator

oh, and even better, are people who aren't in university, they're the best to shoot the **** with, especially if they're working (wow, i really dislike most intellectuals, at least this definition: a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, especially on an abstract and general level. what good is all the bull****ting if you don't put it to practical use, oh yeah, so you can sit around, write stupid papers, and tell each other how smart you are.

skip on 5:15, the dialogue is hilarious, this is what the ivory tower is like, lol

People $H!T all over york because the people that go there are ridiculously stupid, you would not want to go to York for undergrad, people wouldn't understand what you're saying (you use relatively "big" words) lol

Oh and I fail to see the beauty in the grey concrete brutalist architecture at York I think it's quite depressing

meh, i don't have intellectual conversations at university usually, most people at my "esteemed" university don't understand what i'm saying, i had a one hour conversation with a girl who was passing informational pamphlets for "students against global apathy" and by the end she almost had a breakdown, simplified version: because of the profound realization that she was self-deceiving herself, and then she went on to say wow, i have a lot to think about, and i told her she wouldn't rethink her path, she would forget what i said, because she has too much too lose, and become a good obedient member of society, then she you're right again... so I don't tend to be academic around the university, i have a tendency to flip around peoples fundamental belief structures in under 30 minutes, and i'm a happy go lucky guy, better of sticking to talking about business, investing, sports, chicks, psychology, you can really talk intellectually about all kinds of things, the perfect elements for creating a commercially successful rock band, car aesthetics, sex. i save the philosophical bull**** for the left-leaning pseudo-inteligentsia people at the hipster cafe a block from campus... they're funny, they go to a soc of deviance class and all of a sudden they know foucault and have moronic debates about how we oppress third world countries while looking up facts on their (third-world assembled) macbooks. it's always fun debating those guys, because i look like some prepish business student, and they get their intelligentsia ass handed to them, you also find a lot of profs and working people there, they're good, you can have really constructive discussions with a lot of them, students, "intellectual hipster students" for the most part, are really annoying, because they actually suck (as in they're not that bright when you're not comparing them to an oil rig worker), and are full of themselves, plus they're all talk and no action... i prefer hanging out with ppl in pharmacy, eng, arts students who don't take themselves too seriously... because honestly, mental masturbation gets older after awhile, and that plaid, took, and mustache, make you look like a creepy sex predator

oh, and even better, are people who aren't in university, they're the best to shoot the **** with, especially if they're working (wow, i really dislike most intellectuals, at least this definition: a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, especially on an abstract and general level. what good is all the bull****ting if you don't put it to practical use, oh yeah, so you can sit around, write stupid papers, and tell each other how smart you are.

skip on 5:15, the dialogue is hilarious, this is what the ivory tower is like, lol

LOL!

you're going to LOVE this group http://www.facebook.com/taxationistheft

Bunch of pseudointellectual hipsters

I argued with the group owner and some members publicly.. literally wrote pages and pages worth of arguments... all I got in response was "you're a violent person" whatever the **** that means.

Anyways after 10 posts or so they gave up trying to defend themselves and just erased all my comments.

If you really need practice for your LSAT you should go argue with them it's quite amusing

Archived