Premed 101 Forums

ENT for an IMG

I have a friend who's already an ENT from Europe who would like to apply to Canada (for fellowships and/or residency).

Wrote the board exams, has research under belt, masters, few years of experience.

Is it possible for him to get a position? Looking back at last year's match, no IMGs mached to ENT...

I think he needs to talk to the royal college about it but I think the UK is one of the countries that the college will at least consider recognizing for training. That just means they might consider it, but even if they did he might still have to write board exams, work under supervision etc.

I don't know the UK system well, but isn't a registrar the equivalent of our senior resident. And the house officers the equivalent of our junior residents?

That's correct.

I don't know about ENT, but I know of a few Orthopedic senior registrars who got fellowships in Canada - Vancouver and TO, specifically.

As far as moving here to practice permanently, I don't think it should be particularly hard. Your ENT friend will probably be able to get a provisional license with a particular province and then go from there.

Archived