Premed 101 Forums

Honors Program

Guest Maddog909

Guest Maddog909

Is an honors program really that useless? Does a student in an honors program benefit in any way, and is it true that they have to work much harder than a student in a regular science program? If so, wouldn't good grades be harder to get, resulting in a lower chance of being accepted into medicine? I have recently been accepted to the BSc. Honors program in Physiology and I now have some concerns, after reading some previous posts, regarding both the Honors program and the Physiology degree. This question has probably been exhausted, but I'm new to this site. Thank You! :)

Guest Smile

Honours programs are good--they give you a lot of concentration in a major field!

Did you get into physiology at UBC? Because physiology at UBC isn't that bad. I wanted to go into honours math, but I need more time for electives!

Guest Maddog909

I will be a 2nd year student at UofA. I have also heard some very good things about the program at UBC as well, however UofA is closer to home. :)

maddog909,

i'm a honors students at u of a (physiology) and have done a lot of question asking about wether the program is worth it... i'd say yes... the 211 course is hard, but it's not like 210 is a piece of cake... the exams are very different, and the averages are "lower"... but who cares when everything is curved anways? as long as you're in the top ~5% of your class, you'll get a nine... and it's not like the 210 class is any less competetive, so I wouldn't say that it's easier to get a nine there...

basically, take a look at how much you like the subject you're taking an honors degree in... because some of them allow you very little options in choosing "option" classes...

and make sure you like research! cos you'll really struggle in your 4th year if you don't.

i wouldn't say there's a direct benefit to being in honors and applying to med... you're not awarded any extra points in your application or anything. i'd say the honors program just allows you a more indepth education on physiology, and the ability to interact with professors more closely.

Archived