Premed 101 Forums

Regarding Working hours for Cardiology

Dear Forum Members:

Quick question that I am a little afraid to ask the docs I am shadowing -- What are the working hours like for a community cardiologist? Is there such a thing as a community cardiologist? The only thing remotely related to that I found is the CMA pdfs (http://www.cma.ca/index.php/ci_id/53559/la_id/1.htm), which gives a general number for both community and hospital Cardiologists (58hr/wk+107hr on call/mth with 43 hr of that being direct patient care hours).

Working hour is certainly not the only factor I am considering, but it does not hurt to know more about the specialty before I go into it!

As well, are there any information on the number of cardiology residencies compared to people applying? The only thing my faculty adviser told us was that it was competitive.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Working hour is certainly not the only factor I am considering, but it does not hurt to know more about the specialty before I go into it!

I think it's definitely a fair question to just ask your preceptors. Why the hesitation? I guess it can be awkward if you frame the question as "how hard do you work? Do you work less hard in the community?", but just couch the question well.

Ex: "I was wondering more about your work/career. How is your typical work week like? How is that similar or different to community cardiologists?"

Something like that.

And then cross your arms in front of your crotch and yell "suck it"; then turn your hat backwards, and strut out after yelling "PEACE!".

It's not the best right now (especially in Quebec, but I've heard the situation is pretty much nationwide). People find jobs, but it's not as in demand as it used to be. However, it will be getting better soon, since a lot of docs are getting older and will be retiring (average age of cardiologists is pretty old). I'm not one bit worried, but I know of other residents who are slightly worried of not finding a job in their city of choice.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it's definitely a fair question to just ask your preceptors. Why the hesitation? I guess it can be awkward if you frame the question as "how hard do you work? Do you work less hard in the community?", but just couch the question well.

Ex: "I was wondering more about your work/career. How is your typical work week like? How is that similar or different to community cardiologists?"

Something like that.

And then cross your arms in front of your crotch and yell "suck it"; then turn your hat backwards, and strut out after yelling "PEACE!".

Thanks Pantaloons! The suggestion is helpful and the last part certainly made my day!

Archived