Premed 101 Forums

What is the advantage of applying to American Schools?

Lunasly

Hey guys,

Is there any particular advantage of applying to American Schools? I have heard a few rumours, but I would like to confirm. Please tell me if my pros and cons are correct/incorrect.

PROS:

- The curriculum of American school is based off of Step I. That is you will be taught to do well on the test. This is not the case in Canada.

- There are more residency spots in the U.S. so it is easier to obtain something more competitive. (i.e. Dermatology residency).

CONS:

- Way more expensive.

Hey guys,

Is there any particular advantage of applying to American Schools? I have heard a few rumours, but I would like to confirm. Please tell me if my pros and cons are correct/incorrect.

PROS:

- The curriculum of American school is based off of Step I. That is you will be taught to do well on the test. This is not the case in Canada.

- There are more residency spots in the U.S. so it is easier to obtain something more competitive. (i.e. Dermatology residency).

CONS:

- Way more expensive.

boy, are you in for a rude awakening :P

boy, are you in for a rude awakening :P

Explain.

1. Compared to Canadian schools, American schools will give Step 1 exclusive study time from a month to even higher. They test off shelf exams, etc.

2. There ARE more residency spots in derm per applicant in the US making it easier, though derm would be difficult to match into on both sides of the border.

Okay so we have two different opinions here. I have heard the latter several times. So I guess the way it works in Canada then is that we don't have exclusive study time and we have to study for it while doing everything else?

Would the only cons then be:

- Its very expensive (Out of State)

- It's difficult to get back into Canada?

I have looked up a few specialties and dermatology seems very appealing. However, due to how competitive it is, I am assuming it would be 'easier' (still difficult) to get a residency spot compared to Canada.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay so we have two different opinions here. I have heard the latter several times. So I guess the way it works in Canada then is that we don't have exclusive study time and we have to study for it while doing everything else?

I have looked up a few specialties and dermatology seems very appealing. However, due to how competitive it is, I am assuming it would be 'easier' (still difficult) to get a residency spot compared to Canada.

Thanks.

It's not that difficult to get back into Canada, especially compared to other international schools. I've heard of people landing competitive residencies in Canada (rad onc and others).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Dermatologists are very hard to come by in the states. I am not sure how competitive the residency is but I spoke to someone who hires doctors for hospitals and clinics. She basically told me if you are a dermatologist in the states looking for a job you can give them a location and a price and they will get you a position.

Archived