Premed 101 Forums

Keep RN title?

Hey, renewal time is here and I just wanted to get your thoughts, especially those of the other ex-nurses: should I keep my RN title ($176/year)? Technically, I can resign and reinstate it within the next four years without much issue; it gets harder to get it back after that. What do you think?

Cheers,

DonGeo

MacMeds 2014

Hey, renewal time is here and I just wanted to get your thoughts, especially those of the other ex-nurses: should I keep my RN title ($176/year)? Technically, I can resign and reinstate it within the next four years without much issue; it gets harder to get it back after that. What do you think?

Cheers,

DonGeo

MacMeds 2014

If you're in medicine, why do you need the RN title?

Cheers,

DonGeo

MacMeds 2014

what is the point of this question?

You are in medical school.

If you plan on working part time or in the summer as a nurse, then pay to renew. If not, then don't.

There are 10 other areas of education that only have one, and several that have two or three. Not a lot of nurses apply for medicine, apparently- and lots change their minds in nursing school and decide to remain in nursing. I seriously doubt that med schools don't like to accept nurses, I think there just aren't a lot of nurses that apply for medicine?

Anyway, to the OP: I agree with what everyone else is saying, unless you plan on working as a nurse, why would you need to keep the title? Unless you just REALLY like having a title after your name, then go for it :P

My class actually had 10 nurses in it. Really, there is NO reason to pay your RN registration fee in medical school. I, along with all of my classmates, gave it up. You simply don't have time to work in medical school as a nurse, most especially in clerkship. There is also no need to keep the 'RN' designation for the professional status. You will still have your degree title behind your name (BScN) which shows that you were trained in nursing. Do not waste your money.

the rarest

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Classof2013.pdf

look three

when did you take the prerequisites? during the summer?

what were your EC's, GPA and where did you get in - if you don't mind my asking kind sir?

I understand your reluctance to drop the RN. I mean, you probably worked 4 years of your life to achieve it--and that's something for sure.

I'm not certain if that warrants paying $176 to renew the title, though. You'll still have the achievement regardless (just not title). And I don't see how the title will benefit you practically. Just use that money and treat yourself to a night out. Or get Christmas presents (for yourself!).

Actually, the RN title is something that you have to keep up with through annual registration fees. It is not given to you after you have completed your training automatically. A 'registered nurse' implies that you are a registered practicing nurse in good standing with your college of nursing. What the OP worked hard for was a BScN degree, which will always stay as a title behind your name, whether you pay your registration fees or not.

I understand your reluctance to drop the RN. I mean, you probably worked 4 years of your life to achieve it--and that's something for sure.

I'm not certain if that warrants paying $176 to renew the title, though. You'll still have the achievement regardless (just not title). And I don't see how the title will benefit you practically. Just use that money and treat yourself to a night out. Or get Christmas presents (for yourself!).

There are 10 other areas of education that only have one, and several that have two or three. Not a lot of nurses apply for medicine, apparently- and lots change their minds in nursing school and decide to remain in nursing. I seriously doubt that med schools don't like to accept nurses, I think there just aren't a lot of nurses that apply for medicine?

Anyway, to the OP: I agree with what everyone else is saying, unless you plan on working as a nurse, why would you need to keep the title? Unless you just REALLY like having a title after your name, then go for it :P

The title stays after the OP's name even if they don't renew.

cant believe you got in with an RN degree that so rarely happens

Are you serious? Why can't you believe it? Do you know how the admissions process works :rolleyes: ?

It's a low number because of factors like the # of RNs applying, NOT because McMaster hates RNs and is tougher on letting them in. Otherwise, according to you, McMaster hates Biotechs, Business students, Edu students, FA students, Genetics kids, Humanities people, Law students, etc... guess we should all be surprised those guys got in too :rolleyes:

The title stays after the OP's name even if they don't renew.

Really? I always thought RN was a professional designation like P. Eng, CA or CCFP. You needed to be a member of the organization to use it since it was a protected term and required members to adhere to certains requirements.

B.Nurs. would always be there since

Really? I always thought RN was a professional designation like P. Eng, CA or CCFP. You needed to be a member of the organization to use it since it was a protected term and required members to adhere to certains requirements.

B.Nurs. would always be there since

This is right. As per my earlier post.

Thank you Everyone!

I don't plan to nurse, otherwise I wouldn't ask, of course. I just wanted to see if there were other, less obvious reasons for keeping the title.

@ryancouture: It's not traditional, but I don't think it's rare either, not like, say, film studies or music. There are at least 3 or 4 other nurses in my class. My stats, if you like: GPA 3.67 MCAT VR 13. I'm 23. EC's were solid but didn't matter for Mac, and Mac was my only shot last year since I had almost no pre-reqs and no MCAT prep. After applying, I took some courses through Athabasca and studied the full MCAT in case I didn't get in, but I got lucky :)

Again, thanks for thinking this out with me - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

DonGeo

MacMeds 2014

Archived