Premed 101 Forums

Two Degrees

Guest SIMETRA

Guest SIMETRA

Does anyone know whether having two undergrad degrees (BSc & BA) would increase their chances of getting accepted into medical school?

Guest Liana

I think there are very few additional life experiences that would actually impair your medical school application on the broad scale; most could at least contribute to positive learning experiences in some form or another.

Having 2 degrees might provide you with more selection in picking your highest GPA years, which is useful for schools like Western where they base your GPA calculation on your two best years academically. However, this could either help or impair your success at schools like Mac, where they look at your entire academic record - this depends on whether your marks go up or down in the second degree.

On the plus side, you could show that you are knowledgeable in a broad spectrum of areas - you have an understanding of scientific things, but you also have the liberal thinking skills taught by an arts education. Any activity in which you have participated that most other applicants haven't (ie, a second degree) can help you by giving you something distinctive by which you can stand out against the other applicants.

The only downfalls might be that an admissions committee might question the productivity of "wasting" your time doing 2 bachelors degrees, especially if the committee members are the type of people who are gung-ho and don't like stopping to smell the roses. This aspect can be easily minimized, however, if you are able to articulate your reasons for doing both degrees, and show the committee that it has made you a better person - and hopefully will make you a better doctor - by doing so.

Guest Beaver

As far as Western goes, I'm pretty sure they wont allow you to pick the two best years from either degree but rather will take the best two years from your MOST RECENT DEGREE. Mr. Rader can confirm this but I'm pretty sure they will look at the recent degree only for the cutoff marks.

As far as other things go, I personally dont think they would care (negatively) if you did two degrees. What's key is to keep your marks as high as possible and participate in other activities during your summers off and during school etc.

Guest SIMETRA

Thank you for the swift reply. It worries me to think that there are actually people on the adcom that would frown upon someone having two degrees! Wasting time? I don't think so. Of course you're (Liana) right...it's all in how one articulates their decision to pursue another degree...but still, I hope that the adcoms are not that narrow minded.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yep Beaver, I can confirm that. One of our admissions committee guys looked into this after someone posted about this on the UWO admissions message board - and they look at your two best years from your most recent degree.

I have a friend who got into Dal Meds after doing a 3 year B.Sc after doing an initial combined honours degree in English and Contemporary studies. Seemed to work for him - I don't think any admissions interviewing committee would hold having more education against an applicant!

Guest Lawgirl79

The Admissions officer at Western told me that they woulod look at either my BSc or law degree for the cutoff. Maybe a BSc/BA would be looked at differently, though.

The other schools will all look at both degrees.

Archived