Premed 101 Forums

For those accepted to Australian or Irish School

To be honest it's really tough unless you have major family contributions. I was accepted to the US, Ireland and Australia. These would all by far exceed the $150000 student line of credit, if you could even get it for an international school. If I'm remembering correctly the US school was $72000/yr tuition, Australia was $35000/yr and Ireland was somewhere between. In the end I was accepted into a school here in Canada and never complain about money.

If you need to go international it would be worth reapplying after a year overseas. I have a few classmates who have done that.

Good luck.

You are right iheartmed, one cannot get a line of credit on your own if you are going international.

My friend's parents got a home equity loan of 250K and she is now in Ireland. She was lucky as her parent's home was almost paid off and it's in the GTA. It's still a big sacrifice.

I believe she is paying, with everything in, around 60-65K CDN yearly.

You are right iheartmed, one cannot get a line of credit on your own if you are going international.

My friend's parents got a home equity loan of 250K and she is now in Ireland. She was lucky as her parent's home was almost paid off and it's in the GTA. It's still a big sacrifice.

I believe she is paying, with everything in, around 60-65K CDN yearly.

Leveraging your parents home equity to chase a dream of being a doc when they couldn't cut it in Canada? Bold move. What happens if they don't get residency spot here?

Leveraging your parents home equity to chase a dream of being a doc when they couldn't cut it in Canada? Bold move. What happens if they don't get residency spot here?

I know eh? I couldn't do it but I believe the home is worth big bucks and the parents wanted to do it.

Hopefully she can get a FM residency in a rural setting.

Just wow...

Before I always wondered why all these bright students wouldn't apply abroad, because they would surely get in, even if they don't in Canada.

And then I learned how expensive it is and the fact that it would be very difficult journey...On the other hand, after MSc, unemployed and looking long term... I thought maybe that investment is worth it/need it

I guess its a matter of being capable or not...(financially...which is sad)

• 2 months later...

i think (hope ) this is doable without burdening parents -

take Irish schools for example -

tuition: avg 40K euro per year x 4 years (e.g. Limerick :) = 160euro x 1.4 (i know it's 1.3 now but let say it bounces back) = 224k CAD

cost of living 2k euro per month x 48 months = 96k euro = 134k CAD

total ~360kCAD, now the professional LOC will give you about 225k max, plus Canadian student loan/provincial loan will give out about 6k-8k per year. I mean, obviously, you'll still be ~100k short but that's 3 summers of working full time - and hopefully some savings before hand (note to self).

not sure if this helps, but like many, the last thing i want to do is to burden my family.

Archived