Premed 101 Forums

Urology job market

In theory I suppose you could do only in office cystoscopes and no formal OR procedures. Seems dull though.

Sure and you are going to get rusty fast :) I mean I know urology goes hard with one foot in the clinic and one foot in the OR (a line from a speciality youtube video I can't seem to find anymore) - but to knock out 1/2 of the practise doesn't sound like a good thing to me :)

Sure and you are going to get rusty fast :) I mean I know urology goes hard with one foot in the clinic and one foot in the OR (a line from a speciality youtube video I can't seem to find anymore) - but to knock out 1/2 of the practise doesn't sound like a good thing to me :)

OR certainly isn't 1/2 of the practice of urologists, it's more like 1/5-1/10.

Probably my academic medicine bias showing :) Just did my clerkship rotation in urology and 2 OR days a week is the norm here.

1-2 days of OR time a week is the norm for most urologists (or surgical specialties for that matter). People tend to get pissed when it's less.

With no OR you lose a huge amount of what makes the specialty desirable for most urologists. I don't know a single surgeon who doesn't want to operate.

• 5 weeks later...

From the CUA this year. Very interesting.

Fellowship Choices of Graduates of Canadian Urology Programs

Touma Naji J, Beiko Darren, Siemens D. Robert Department of Urology, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, Canada

Introduction: Urology training is constantly evolving with ever increasing skills and fund of knowledge. Little is known about the fellowship choices of graduating Canadian residents and their reasons for pursuing them.

Methods: 74 graduates of Canadian urology programs from 2008 through 2010 were surveyed about their fellowship choices upon graduation. Surveys were administered directly to 2010 graduates at a chief resi- dents’ meeting, whereas 2008 and 2009 graduates were surveyed in 2010 through SurveyMonkey.com®. The survey contained 12 major questions with subheadings examining the subjects’ attitudes about their fellowship choices. Where applicable, answers were quantified using a 5 point likert scale to express agreement or disagreement.

Results: The overall response rate was 73%. 85.4% of graduates are pursuing fellowships with oncology (40%) and minimally invasive urol- ogy (33.3%) being the most popular choices. Reasons cited for pur- suing a fellowship included: interest in pursuing an academic career (63.1%), acquiring marketable skills to obtain a position in the community (58.7%), and interest in focusing their practice to this area of urology (82.7%). On the other hand, graduates rejected as reasons for pursuing a fellowship: inability to find a suitable position in urology in Canada (51.1%), feeling that residency did not equip them with the necessary skills to practice urology (47.8%), or learning about research method- ology (54.3%). Graduates found the help of a urology faculty within their program (78.8%), networking at national or international meeting (55.3%), and their own initiative (76.1%) to be essential in obtaining the fellowship of their choice. Less helpful were sub-specialty organiza- tions (55.3%), or electives at an outside institution (74.4%). 27.7% and 20.8% of graduates were offered a position in academic and community urology respectively prior to starting their fellowship. 76.2% of gradu- ates felt they knew enough about academic urology to know if it would be a suitable career choice for them versus 50% regarding community urology. 58.8% of residents did a community elective during residency, and 70.7% felt they would have benefited from additional elective time in the community. Graduates tend to be very productive academically co-authoring on average 9.9 peer-reviewed abstracts or papers during residency, and 8 during fellowship.

Conclusions: Graduates from Canadian urology programs tend to be very academically oriented, opting for additional training after residency.

Archived