Premed 101 Forums

Tips for impatience?

Hi,

I am a non-traditional applicant, who only decided to pursue medicine about 1.5 years ago. I completed my undergrad in 2009, with a high GPA and honors. I never took any "hard sciences" because I always thought I would apply for a masters in public health/epidemiology. I am now slowly working on taking science pre-reqs. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go back to school full-time to take science pre-reqs. I applied to 3 med schools this year as an out of province applicant, and and got one rejection so far :-( (my MCAT VR score didn't meet OOP cut off). I probably need to re-write my MCAT in the new year to be more competitive as an out of province applicant. I've been working in the same job for the past 2 years or so, it's a great place (health center in marginalized community), but I am beginning to feel like I need "change"... I feel impatient.

I am just wondering what all non-traditional applicants do while "waiting" to get into medicine?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am a non-traditional applicant, who only decided to pursue medicine about 1.5 years ago. I completed my undergrad in 2009, with a high GPA and honors. I never took any "hard sciences" because I always thought I would apply for a masters in public health/epidemiology. I am now slowly working on taking science pre-reqs. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go back to school full-time to take science pre-reqs. I applied to 3 med schools this year as an out of province applicant, and and got one rejection so far :-( (my MCAT VR score didn't meet OOP cut off). I probably need to re-write my MCAT in the new year to be more competitive as an out of province applicant. I've been working in the same job for the past 2 years or so, it's a great place (health center in marginalized community), but I am beginning to feel like I need "change"... I feel impatient.

I am just wondering what all non-traditional applicants do while "waiting" to get into medicine?

Thanks.

need change? find another job

Very impatient myself!

I applied to two schools this cycle, and am doing a second undergrad for future cycles.

I feel like I can't settle into a life/job because it may be uprooted in a year/two years... I'm nervous about getting into a serious relationship, in case I'm going to end up moving again at some point. As well, I feel the age clock ticking. If I get accepted this cycle I'll be 27 when classes start. I know those older than me will chuckle at me thinking I'm too old, I know I chuckle at the 25 year olds thinking they're too old!

So for now I'm working hard at my courses, trying to get a head at my job in case that's what I end up doing the rest of my life, and saving up as much cash as I can.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but know that you're not alone!

My approach to this is to assume I won't get accepted and then just go ahead and live my life. If you hate your job get a new one. If you meet the right person start a relationship. If you want to be a yoga teacher start the training. Life is too short to waste it waiting for something that may or may not happen. Enjoy where you are right now.

Having said all that, I have to admit that I spend a huge amount of time daydreaming about getting accepted. I treat my med school application the same way I treat a lottery ticket. Its fun to imagine what you'll do if you win -- it gives you hope -- but until you win, make the best you can with what you have.

ditto.

while i don't hate my job i share the same feeling that i can't commit to it 100% because I feel like this is only part of the journey. with this mentality i screwed up badly in 2011, though. the thing about professionalism, as i have come to learn, is that one must perform and deliver consistently regardless of the task and regardless of the day (one bad day occasionally is ok :).

Another thing that I say to myself to keep my impatience in check is that - say if you get into medicine at 30, graduate from medical school at 34, complete you residency at 38. you still have close to 25 years or more to practice.

for me, i vetted my applications and decide to work on my MCAT and EC this year. I wish you all the best. Dont be scared there's a lot of us in the same boat :)

My approach to this is to assume I won't get accepted and then just go ahead and live my life. If you hate your job get a new one. If you meet the right person start a relationship. If you want to be a yoga teacher start the training. Life is too short to waste it waiting for something that may or may not happen. Enjoy where you are right now.

Having said all that, I have to admit that I spend a huge amount of time daydreaming about getting accepted. I treat my med school application the same way I treat a lottery ticket. Its fun to imagine what you'll do if you win -- it gives you hope -- but until you win, make the best you can with what you have.

Wow... +1

There are more of us around than we realize!

As for me, I made a great big move and am not regretting it in the least. I'm establishing myself in my new community and I know if I get in this year I'll have a great life to return to eventually.

I am also 'pretending' that I wont get in. I am trying to make not getting into med school just as exciting as getting in .... how would I possibly do that? the money I will be saving for first year med school tuition (~$17-18k) will be then allocated for buying a home theater projetcor, 120 inch screen, new subwoofer, upgrade my home theater speakers and a small reno in the kitchen ... LOL ... there is that small cluster of child-like neurons deep in my brain that kind of hope that I dont get in this year so I can buy all those toys and then hope that I get in the following year so that when I am home from med school after getting in the following year I will have an awesome home theater to relax in ... a 46 inch LCD tv is just not big enough anymore ... 120 inches is where its at :D

Likely others can set up other scenerios that are also pleasant, perhaps without all the needless money wastage. Being a big Sci-Fi fan my two best friends and I are planning to go to the big Fan Expo in Toronto which would take place August 23-26th ... the kicker being, my friends being aware of this, that if I get into med school I wont be able to go due to orientation week. So another thing set up that will be something I have wanted to do for years but have never done so .... and if I dont get into med then it will happen.

What is NOT an option is to sulk and wallow in self-pity for more than a few days .... week max ... after a few weeks it would be good to take some time to reflect, regroup, analyze and see what can be improved for next application cycle all the while enjoying those things you have set up as an alternative enjoyable path.

If you dont have a relatively fulfilling job already than it may be a bit more difficult if you have yourself setup with a 'Med school or BUST' scenerio. But never set yourself up so that it is either the ivory tower of med school or your parent's basement for a year unemployed. Always have a back up plan in place even if it isnt the presitge of med school ... you need something to wake up for every morning to be a productive person.

I hope that gets people thinking a bit more ... create alternative dreams, set up joys and excitement that doesnt revolve around med school.

Beef

• 2 weeks later...
Wow... +1

There are more of us around than we realize!

As for me, I made a great big move and am not regretting it in the least. I'm establishing myself in my new community and I know if I get in this year I'll have a great life to return to eventually.

THIS ^^^

I think like this too! As much as I would love to get into medical school, it IS hard and very likely I won't make it. So I'm giving myself this year to do what I need to to be as competitive because I've decided it might be my one chance.

I don't think medicine is the be-all and end-all of my existence and I do have (many!) ideas for a back up plan.

My end goal is to be HAPPY - that may or may not mean me becoming a doctor and I'm ok with that. This attitude has made the whole process that much more enjoyable.

Archived