Premed 101 Forums

To Melissa13

Guest Jenny

Guest Jenny

Hi Melissa13:

I read in a post somewhere that you got interviews after your second degree. I was just wondering what you did your second degree in, was it another Bsc. You see Melissa I am a similar position, having completed one Bsc with a 2. something crap GPA, but I know the cause was a lack of effort and a focus on outside interests. Now im thinking about doing a second degree to redeem myself, I was wondering if you could tell me how you went about things (new major, etc) and the kind of GPA you achieved in the the new degree.

Finally I was wondering what schools you interviewed with given your previous degree performance. I guess schools like UofT and Ottawa are probably out of the question given their high GPA requirements. Just wondering what schools are more receptive. I heard at MAc they also look at your entire record so that could cause some problems.

Anyways thank you very much for your expert advice and sharing your story. It will really help me out bigtime.

Thank you Melissa13 and good luck to you

Jenny

Guest Melissa13

Hi Jenny,

I am currently working on my second degree, which is a B.Sc. in Nursing. When I finished my biology degree I knew that my marks would only make the Ad comms laugh so I bit the bullet and went back to school. I chose nursing because if I couldn't get into med I would still have a challenging career to begin at the end of all my hard work, which was not the case after I finished my biology degree.(Not interested in spending my life in a lab.) My grades for the nursing degree have been in the range of 3.8-3.95 depending on the year and that has taken so serious hard work. I have volunteered in the community, been on various school committees and have represented student interests on several school councils for the last three years while working 25-30 hours a week at a local Ottawa pub to continue feeding me and the cat. Luckily I have a wonderful fiance who is part of the greater work force and he helps to balance that finacing act as well. I applied to 11 of the 16 school sn Canada, excluding Quebec becasue je ne parle pas de francais and Dalhousie because my MCAT marks were too low for them. I got two interviews and 9 PFO letters and surprisingly the interviews came from the UOTTAWA and USASK. Uottawa takes your most recent three years if you have more than 4 and Usask only considers your best 2 years over all. Others that are good to try in this situation are UCalagary which considers best 2 and I think Ualberta does something funky with grade calculation to but I can't remember...McMaster takes ALLLLL of your grades and calculates evenly so the 2.something crappy avergare is like a big boat anchor around my neck regardless of how well I do between now and 8 more degrees :rolleyes . It takes 8 parts hard work + 2 parts good luck and I wish you more than your share of luck because you probably already got the hard work down cold. I hope this helps. Melissa

Guest princejr13

Melissa,

I am a Sask resident and I also applied to the med school here this year. How did your sask interview go? When was your interview, maybe we met?

Guest Melissa13

Hi there,

I interviewed in the morning group on the Saturday. I guess my interview went well enough to get a pass but other than that I'm not sure. Your guess is as good as mine since they don't give you any real feed back after the interview.

Guest monkey

hi melissa,

sorry i dont know much about you but r u OOP (out of province) for Usask? i ask b/c i am an OOP for usask and passed the interview as well. i was trying to gauge the number of OOP's interested in attending Usask. what r your feelings on attending USask? preferred school over UO? or just about the same?

i'm myself not sure...lol. the school actually sounds good so its not like its a last resort or backup ! but it'd be cool to know what other OOP;'s thought of the school and stuff

Guest princejr13

Melissa,

I know exactly what you mean. Even though I passed the interview, I really don't know how it went since there was NO feedback from the interviewers. My interview was also on saturday, but at 3:00 p.m. I wish you good luck with your applications!

Archived