Premed 101 Forums

Summer research after 1st yr med

I'm thinking of doing summer research in toronto. I have just cold-emailed the profs with interesting projects. However, I did read a post somewhere that its better to do with supervisors who publish fast. How do I get this info? So far, I have not got a reply to my emails, but I plan on asking the supervisor if there is a chance of publication coming out of the 3 months work. Will this sound ok? Thanks :)

you need to explain upfront that, with your limited time as a medical student, you want to be able to assist in a project that's already ongoing (never something that is just starting unless it is wrapping up ASAP!) as you wish to be able to produce something tangible (poster, paper, presentation, conference, etc...).

most PIs are sympathetic, especially when you're working with docs in a field you want to match to, because they understand how CaRMS works and why having something tangible from the research is important to your application.

ask around and see which PIs have worked with a lot of medical students, because they'll be the ones most likely to work together with you.

of course, if you can assist during the school year a bit as well as the summer, the PI is more likely to want to help you. I've talked to a lot of docs who get frustrated by spending time training someone during the summer only to have them go MIA in the school year.

good luck!

Archived