Premed 101 Forums

does second degree have to be full time?

Hey There,

I can't speak for all of them; but the majority that I've looked into have said that it needs to be 5 full course equivalent. I even met with somebody at Dalhousie that said it should all be senior level classes and Athabasca or other online universities didn't count. She states that you would pass the initial screening but they would weight very poorly when choosing candidates.

hope this helps

It depends on the school. UWO requires full course load (5 courses) and 3 of those courses have to be at the senior level whereas, for UofT, it's not necessary to have a full course load but they will drop the lowest 1 course worth of marks/year completed but to be eligible for this, you need to have had a full course load in EVERY year. So your friend should make a list of the schools he/she is interested in applying to and look up the exact requirements for those schools on their admissions website.

• 2 months later...

This is confusing, because if you are doing full time (5 courses/sem) and you are beginning a second degree, won't all the courses be first year courses? how do you cater the second degree to meet the prereqs, full time curriculum, senior level status AND not do it in 4 years?

i am asking because I'm starting a second degree at UO in september, and i already have an MA and a BScH. I just need to be smart about this.

Like I stated before to one of your previous threads. When you start a second degree, several of your courses such as first year chemistry/bio (from your first degree) will fulfill requirements for your second degree. The school will just transfer over the requirement, which has been satisfied from your first degree, to your second. Meaning you will most likely will be able to complete your second degree in two years or so, depending on the requirements of your second degree.

So no you most of your courses will not be first year courses and they should not be if you want to be eligible at Western.

Again read the stickies and use the search function as there is a wealth of information.

Paloma22, make an appointment with a guidance counselor to make sure that you are getting the proper transfer credits (if you qualify) and that you are taking the proper courses to fulfill your second degree and medical school requirements for that second degree. Make sure you plan this carefully. It would be a shame to go through all of it only to find out you didn't understand the requirements or plan out your courses properly. Guidance counselors are there for that specific reason. The advice you're getting here is great advice, but it does not replace official counseling directly from the school itself.

Paloma22, make an appointment with a guidance counselor to make sure that you are getting the proper transfer credits (if you qualify) and that you are taking the proper courses to fulfill your second degree and medical school requirements for that second degree. Make sure you plan this carefully. It would be a shame to go through all of it only to find out you didn't understand the requirements or plan out your courses properly. Guidance counselors are there for that specific reason. The advice you're getting here is great advice, but it does not replace official counseling directly from the school itself.

Thanks Dumbledore and jojo for your advice. I will be making an appointment with a guidance councellor in April, once I wrap things up with this MA.

One more thing (I'm sure this is written somewhere but thought I would clarify anyways), what is the best route with the prereqs already completed? Given they do transfer, I have an average of C grade in most of them (taken in 1st year), so that must look terrible to adcoms.

Is it best to integrate re-taking the prereqs into my second degree, acing them, and re-applying to eliminate this red flag, or is redoing prereqs frowned upon? Whats the best strategy for tackling a poor history of prereqs?

I'm so disappointed in myself for doing so badly my first two years, this could really hurt my slim chances :(

I'm not sure if it is the same at all schools, but from my experience when you transfer credits into a second degree you don't transfer the grades just the credit.

I think most schools frown on re-taking courses, and at the very least they do still see and take into account both marks. Re-doing a course doesn't make the first bad mark go away. And for schools with pre-req courses they don't necessarily care about the mark of that course just that the credit was obtained.

Personally I wouldn't re-do any pre-requisite courses in your second degree, so long as you obtained the credit your first go around. Again, something to discuss when you meed with the guidance counsillor.

Archived