Premed 101 Forums

So how much does Paper Application matter once you get Interview?

Ok - all of this speculation is counterproductive. Every component of your application counts towards their overall impression of you - some components to a greater degree and some to a lesser degree. However, this varies not only amongst different specialties and different programs, but between *individual assessors*, so it is not possible to make accurate generalizations of this nature.

For example, committee member A knows your referee and places more emphasis on your letter. Committee member B worked with you on your elective, so can speak from firsthand experience. Committee member C only knows about you through hearsay and is basing most of their impression on the interview. Everyone has a voice that they can use to advocate for or against you.

Suffice it to say - for any program who receives more applications than they have interview slots, and has to make a choice about whom to meet - if you have been offered an interview, then you are under consideration. You're much better off spending your time and energy preparing for the interview than worrying about this here. If you had trouble getting an elective but really want to match at a program, just tell them.

PDs don't want to see students doing all their electives in one discipline. I gathered that the max we should do in any one discipline is 3-4.

Would it be appropriate to approach the PD in your program of interest while you're completing an elective in another department? I imagine I would introduce myself and express my interest in the specialty. Would this be good bad or neutral for my application?

And is 4 electives in your discipline of interest too many?

Approaching the PD is good for your application if they get an impression of you as intelligent, motivated, and likeable. It's bad for your application if they find you annoying. Overall, I would still go for it.

I think that some specialties/programs have a greater expectation of knowing applicants through electives than others. The overall strength of your application is more important than the number of electives you do (but you should have enough exposure to make a convincing case for your interest in an area vs others).

PDs don't want to see students doing all their electives in one discipline. I gathered that the max we should do in any one discipline is 3-4.

Depends on your specialty. In my specialty it's expected that you will heavily weight your electives with rotations in the specialty throughout the country. It's not seen as a problem. But I am in a highly competitive specialty. Less competitive specialties may value diversity, but in my field every PD knows that you need to do lots of electives in the field in order to maximize chances of matching.

I suppose I should say that my knowledge of the match process is influenced by my experience in my field.

They have invited us to an interview because we are excellent candidates, the Interview is to kick the wheel, check under the hood and see if they can last the next couple of years looking at our face.

LOL. I can see them going ... "OH GAWD, I DON"T WANNA LOOK AT RENIN" *derank*

LOL.

Ok - all of this speculation is counterproductive. Every component of your application counts towards their overall impression of you - some components to a greater degree and some to a lesser degree. However, this varies not only amongst different specialties and different programs, but between *individual assessors*, so it is not possible to make accurate generalizations of this nature.

For example, committee member A knows your referee and places more emphasis on your letter. Committee member B worked with you on your elective, so can speak from firsthand experience. Committee member C only knows about you through hearsay and is basing most of their impression on the interview. Everyone has a voice that they can use to advocate for or against you.

Suffice it to say - for any program who receives more applications than they have interview slots, and has to make a choice about whom to meet - if you have been offered an interview, then you are under consideration. You're much better off spending your time and energy preparing for the interview than worrying about this here. If you had trouble getting an elective but really want to match at a program, just tell them.

TOO MUCH COMMON SENSE! *head explodes*:eek:

Regarding IMG situation in Manitoba, I am 100% they are not inviting everyone. they invited 80 people for 53 positions this year, including IMG's. last year was 75 people for 45 FM positions. so I dont know. I just hope I am ranked number 1.

But again I must say Interview is deal maker. You ace the interview you get the residency.

Hi there. I was just curious about this number?

I had a friend who also has an interview as an IMG said he phoned the secretary that indicated that they're inviting along the lines of 230 something applicants. May I ask where you got this information from?

Thanks! good luck on interviews.

I had a friend who also has an interview as an IMG said he phoned the secretary that indicated that they're inviting along the lines of 230 something applicants. May I ask where you got this information from?

80 CMG and about 320 IMG, your friend is correct.

400 is the correct number.

Rank Ontario first, you will have a better chance as an IMG at least is 4:1 in Ontario not like the 8:1 ratio here in Manitoba

Hey, I appreciate the encouragement.

I was shocked as well, that I got 2 IVs from gen surg programs I've never done an elective at.

I guess thats a good sign right? I'm assuming they don't interview ppl that won't seriously consider..

Does any know the ratio of IMGs interviewed to spots, for gen surg?

Is 5:1 a safe bet?

Well the fact that you got an interview as an IMG without doing an elective is quite impressive. In surgical programs as far, they seem to value electives quite a lot.

So you must have something really good on your application for them to give you an interview. How far that will carry you to the next stage will be hard to say, but I mean, there's not much you can do now, just try your best at the interview, good luck.

Hey, I appreciate the encouragement.

I was shocked as well, that I got 2 IVs from gen surg programs I've never done an elective at.

I guess thats a good sign right? I'm assuming they don't interview ppl that won't seriously consider..

Does any know the ratio of IMGs interviewed to spots, for gen surg?

Is 5:1 a safe bet?

5:1 is a safe bet

Rank Ontario first, you will have a better chance as an IMG at least is 4:1 in Ontario not like the 8:1 ratio here in Manitoba

If you understand nothing else about CaRMS, understand this:

Always always always rank IN THE ORDER OF DESIRABILITY TO YOU.

Ranking someplace high because you think you've got a better chance of matching there does you absolutely no good. If you don't understand, read this carefully.

If you understand nothing else about CaRMS, understand this:

Always always always rank IN THE ORDER OF DESIRABILITY TO YOU.

Ranking someplace high because you think you've got a better chance of matching there does you absolutely no good. If you don't understand, read this carefully.

thank you, I so want to stay in Manitoba, since my family, wife [who is a doctor is here].

Archived