Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this about the strike/York as someone who if I choose not to apply to meds again (not likely given the family sitation) I am leaning towards a master's program. Either Health (at York or MPH at UofT), MBA (York, UofT or a program in the UK) or a Data Science program (Columbia, Northwestern, Berkeley, York has a quasi version).

The MBA and quasi data science programs at York are bewteen $50K and $65K. This strike will strongly influence where I go and who I give my money if I choose not to apply to meds again.  I've generally tried to keep an open mind about York knowing that what I experienced at Western from a learning perspective different from what I am receiving today which I believe largely due to time period differences (things just change) but this is starting to cloud it.

I am just honest to god thankful that I am not financially impacted by this in the sense that while in school I also do consulting work for a variety of organizations. If I had an actual job to go to based on a certain start date which could now be in flux due to York strike issues then I would be freaking out right now.

As some know, I coach football and I routinely have kids ask for my advice on where they should pursue CIS ball. My first piece of advice to them is to go to the SCHOOL they think will fit them best academically, financially, and  socially and then choose football second. Lately some of these boys have been offered scholarship money to play at York and I tell them that unless money is a big concern for you and your family then find another school.

I will say this about the strike/York as someone who if I choose not to apply to meds again (not likely given the family sitation) I am leaning towards a master's program. Either Health (at York or MPH at UofT), MBA (York, UofT or a program in the UK) or a Data Science program (Columbia, Northwestern, Berkeley, York has a quasi version).

The MBA and quasi data science programs at York are bewteen $50K and $65K. This strike will strongly influence where I go and who I give my money if I choose not to apply to meds again.  I've generally tried to keep an open mind about York knowing that what I experienced at Western from a learning perspective different from what I am receiving today which I believe largely due to time period differences (things just change) but this is starting to cloud it.

I am just honest to god thankful that I am not financially impacted by this in the sense that while in school I also do consulting work for a variety of organizations. If I had an actual job to go to based on a certain start date which could now be in flux due to York strike issues then I would be freaking out right now.

As some know, I coach football and I routinely have kids ask for my advice on where they should pursue CIS ball. My first piece of advice to them is to go to the SCHOOL they think will fit them best academically, financially, and  socially and then choose football second. Lately some of these boys have been offered scholarship money to play at York and I tell them that unless money is a big concern for you and your family then find another school.

What data science program does York have?

What data science program does York have?

MSc in Business Analytics

Hense my statement about quasi data science

If I go the data science route I am leaning towards a true data science program since I already do and have done the business analytics (current consulting biz and built a company doing predictive modeling when I came out of school originally) so I'd be looking more for something a bit more hard core.

I really don't need these programs given my experience but I fear stepping back into the 100% biz world again and being surrounded by mediocrity so I'm trying to find some angle that allows me to do work in health building analytical solutions

I looked into that program, but I'm not sure if I want to do that for the rest of my life. I don't think I should invest 55K in something if I'm not sure. I'm probably going to move into bioinformatics. I have a phone interview today with the director of bioinformatics at the ontario cancer research institute. The position is just a volunteer in his lab, but he also supervises for the bioinformatics program at U of T. Hoping it goes well.

edit: I don't know anything about Sid Ryan, so I don't want to comment. I'm just concerned that this thing is getting so charged.

I looked into that program, but I'm not sure if I want to do that for the rest of my life. I don't think I should invest 55K in something if I'm not sure. I'm probably going to move into bioinformatics. I have a phone interview today with the director of bioinformatics at the ontario cancer research institute. The position is just a volunteer in his lab, but he also supervises for the bioinformatics program at U of T. Hoping it goes well.

edit: I don't know anything about Sid Ryan, so I don't want to comment. I'm just concerned that this thing is getting so charged.

Good luck!

One reason for me wanting to move away from the biz side of data analysis is for the same reason I wanted to move away from biz to begin with: soulless work to realize your sole purpose is to make money. I want to transition into something health related by finding ways to use what I know and have built to improve health care decision-making and policy through better data analysis.

Good luck!

One reason for me wanting to move away from the biz side of data analysis is for the same reason I wanted to move away from biz to begin with: soulless work to realize your sole purpose is to make money. I want to transition into something health related by finding ways to use what I know and have built to improve health care decision-making and policy through better data analysis.

I feel similarly. I decided to get a better worst case scenario - i can complete the remaining programming courses I need for grad school in only 2 semesters, and retake a few math classes and I should be good to move into bioinformatics in a more programming intensive fashion. I don't really want to be a unit of capital production for a douchebag ceo.

I feel similarly. I decided to get a better worst case scenario - i can complete the remaining programming courses I need for grad school in only 2 semesters, and retake a few math classes and I should be good to move into bioinformatics in a more programming intensive fashion. I don't really want to be a unit of capital production for a douchebag ceo.

Agreed. My watershed moment came in (I think it was 2006) when I was doing a lot of work consulting work for RBC (also who I sold my company to) who made record profits that year and subsequently laid off 1500 people. 

I had been a die hard capitalist until that point.

Archived