Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of undergrad support at #cupe3903 picket line today students from philosophy, sociology, sexuality studies, social work #YorkUStrike

LMAO. How am I not surprised by this?

lol the students that have been specifically trained in critical thinking and social issues? I wouldn't be surprised either. 

Usuaully any course that has a large student pool and exhibits deviations from the standard will be bell curved. Yes, most intro. mathematics based courses exhibit such trends. Unless you have a class full of geniuses, and average students but chances are you have some really high achievers and alot of kids near the passing line.

thought I read they came to a deal last week?

Edit: here's a link http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2015/02/27/deal-for-trent-student-academic-workers-averts-strike

they do a weird confidence thing if you accept a deal. they vote again a week later. our union and u of t's union have a petition going around for Trent's union to go on strike. Really weird.

Lol I feel like I am in the cohort with the worst luck. MCAT literally changes when I plan to take it, and now the strike(s),. Let's also not forget the overwhelming upward trend of med school competitiveness during the last few years.

Does anyone know whether MATH1014 is normally bellcurved or not? Thanks

During my year (last year winter semester), each section had a different bell curve. Luckily, I was in the one where the largest bell curve was granted. Our exam mark was multiplied by 1.6. Midterms were also curved a bit. Other sections had it much worse though, so try your best to have a high grade going into the exam (the exam was BRUTAL).

Also, in regards to NSERC I received two acceptance emails already (one from dept. of Physics the other from dept. of mechanical engineering). I am currently sitting at a 8.2 for gpa but I strongly believe that my high ranking in both departments helped me get it.

My sister recently told a family member who studies the social sciences that her department should be ashamed of themselves for accepting funding. She said that money could go to something worthwhile.

It was excellent.

See I do have a bit of a different take on this because social sciences are the subjective component to the objective hard sciences. You need both and in many instances you cannot do hard science on various things.

For example, consider a Dr visit: someone shows up with nausea, vomiting, chest pains and diarrhea . If could be any number of things but unless you ask specific questions (qualitative social science) then you'll never narrow the multitude of possibilities and instead will rack up expensive testing bills to diagnose. But if your Dr asks what you ate in the past 48 hours, if you took any medications, etc then you can hone in on a diagnosis which in my case was food poisoning from a dive restaurant near my cottage a few years ago.

I have no problem funding social sciences and I have even less of a problem funding research that has no practical application as I believe fully in undirected research (if Einstein had to submit a grant application we'd be f#cked today lol, in fact the Germans would probably own us haha) but I do have a problem funding graduate programs for history, music, cinema, and the like. Not saying they don't have value but in a world of scarce resources I just think there are better uses of that money.

Perhaps that's my own bias showing :)

To be honest, I just enjoy trolling social science types.

I learned a new word from a pinned button on someone's backpack yesterday (it was one of 100 pins): "ableism"

So I asked her what it means and she said it's like racism but towards peoples' disability status.  

I learned a new word from a pinned button on someone's backpack yesterday (it was one of 100 pins): "ableism"

So I asked her what it means and she said it's like racism but towards peoples' disability status.  

Don't get me started on "cultural appropriation".

Archived