Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Our generation has been sold a bill of goods that education, education, education is the way for people to move up. … Folks like me … have pursued master’s and PhDs and are staring at the most precarious jobs of all of us,” said Peter Brogan, a PhD student in the sixth year of his program in human geography at York University.

Wtf is human geography LOL

Human geography is a branch of the social sciences that studies the world, its people, communities and cultures with an emphasis on relations of and across space and place. The discipline of geography is divided into the sub-fields of human geography and physical geography.

And HOW come EVERY quote I read is from people in fluffy programs. Not one single quote or displeasure voiced from STEM Msc/PhD students.

Surely they must exist or are we looking for Bigfoot and the locknest monster?

From what I've heard, most of the STEM students are still doing their research. Many of them are facing major pressure from other union members.

Any government/international organization that needs to track demographics? I would imagine there are a lot of jobs for something like that no?

Would be easier with a masters degree.

I did my undergrad in a social science BA degree and honestly, if you are pursuing a masters and phD in a social science/ humanities field without knowing beforehand about your job prospects, then you are simply a fool.

We don't need anymore phDs in English.

It's U3 vs U1&2 now. Sounds like a civil war has ensued. Well played York! well played. 

Looks like U1 may stand with U3. U1 is still fighting for tuition indexation. It will be U2 vs U1/U3.

edit: or not:

Kami Chisholm @KamiChisholm 1m1 minute ago

#CUPE3903 Unit 2 rep makes excellent point that this is a division tactic of admin. I think she is suggesting U2 should stand with others

I called this as a division tactic the moment I heard it. Cupe needs to hire me. Would also be good for their image to have STEM representative.

ahh you're right, seems like they caught up with York's tricks. 

Unit1 member in support of Unit3 demands. Tuition Indexation, Minimum Funding, Better Job Security for all! #CUPE3903 #YorkUStrike

Trying to divide #cupe3903 is a mistake; after Monday night GMM, our efforts will be redoubled, our determination super-charged #yorkustrike

Some Unit 2 members are saying they are willing to stay on the line for Unit 1 & 3 red lines. #CUPE3903

What  was to catch up to? This was full on divide and conquer mode from the beginning.

If this are our "best and brightest" then society is f@!ked in 20 years 

Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious. Who goes to these meetings? Lawyers or random cupe members?

Based on a VERY small sample of disgruntled people I am not sure this is going to pass at all.

I really hate to say it, being an undergrad student, but the union holds all the cards here with the pan scam games coming. To settle this early with such concessions on red-line issues is pretty crazy. The only thing I can think of is the BT wanted to put this to a vote to show "strength" knowing the membership would swiftly and absolutely vote no.

Now speaking of red-line issues, what is this LGBT equality crap? Is there language in any documentation that specifically excludes someone who is LGBT? Is there language that only applies to heterosexuals? 

I think they want LGBTQ identifying individuals to have some sort of equal hiring rights? I'm really not sure. Apparently the university has completely ignored the issue.

I guess I just don't understand how it matters. Unless they are specifically shouting from the sky they are LGBTQ then isn't is already an equal playing field where the best person gets the job? In order to provide hiring equality you would have to ask people their sexual orientation. Pretty sure that's discriminatory.

Archived