Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am highly confused. Apparently only 5/12 of exec committee members supporting offer.

How can that be an endorsement for supporting the offer then? 

Union is broken. These people selected execs that don't represent their interests. It is a lost cause now.

interesting:

"What happens if some Units ratify and others do not?

If, for example, Units 1 and 3 reject and Unit 2 ratifies, then Unit 2 will have to go back to work and may have to cross picket lines. However, if classes remain cancelled there will be no work to return to until classes resume. In this case, members of Unit 2 will not be eligible for strike pay and may be not get paid by York."

interesting:

"What happens if some Units ratify and others do not?

If, for example, Units 1 and 3 reject and Unit 2 ratifies, then Unit 2 will have to go back to work and may have to cross picket lines. However, if classes remain cancelled there will be no work to return to until classes resume. In this case, members of Unit 2 will not be eligible for strike pay and may be not get paid by York."

I don't think this is the case. It would undermine York's offer/strategy.

York presented a good offer to unit 2 to try and get an overall victory. If the offer allowed only unit 2 to ratify, it would mean that splitting the union is impossible. Nothing would stop unit 2 from accepting and unit1/3 from continuing to fight for indexation.

I think it's gonna be hard to predict what will happen. What we've witnessed so far is a VERY small sample of CUPE members dusgruntled by the deal. I haven't seen a single member endorse the offer on Twitter so we could generalize that the majority will be against the deal. But it could also be that those who are endorsing it are just quite and not causing any public conflicts. I'm sure if all the members started sharing opinions, there would be even more clash between the units.

I have no idea, we will probably have a better idea during the meeting if members post updates on social media about the general vibes.

My only concern is that I have a 40% midterm this Thursday and if we're back in school I will be royally ***ed if it doesn't get postponed.

I think it's gonna be hard to predict what will happen. What we've witnessed so far is a VERY small sample of CUPE members dusgruntled by the deal. I haven't seen a single member endorse the offer on Twitter so we could generalize that the majority will be against the deal. But it could also be that those who are endorsing it are just quite and not causing any public conflicts. I'm sure if all the members started sharing opinions, there would be even more clash between the units.

I have no idea, we will probably have a better idea during the meeting if members post updates on social media about the general vibes.

My only concern is that I have a 40% midterm this Thursday and if we're back in school I will be royally ***ed if it doesn't get postponed.

All of my profs have said that any test scheduled for this weel will be postponed.

wrt legislation, apparently they can be legislated back to work, but then could fight the legislation in court. That would end the strike as it usually takes years for things like that to get done. I don't know if this is true, but i saw it posted on the maingate picketing page.

I think need to consider a law suit against the surgeon and anesthesiologist who were involved in my appendix removal. Something they did must have caused a neurological disordered. Its the only way I can figure out as to why I have turned pro union on this deal lol

I think need to consider a law suit against the surgeon and anesthesiologist who were involved in my appendix removal. Something they did must have caused a neurological disordered. Its the only way I can figure out as to why I have turned pro union on this deal lol

Just fyi, it looks like you were right about unit 2 being back in work if they vote to rat. but the rest do not. Apparently York is preparing for this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/116381605105596/

Read the thread about police officers removing picketers on shoreham.

I still can't believe they did not allow any discussion time before voting. You'd almost think Stephen Harper was running this thing!

They're smart.

My problem with unions has always been the internal politics. Personally ambition leads to stuff like this. This BT and set of execs will eventually get credit for avoiding a very long strike, and will gain position in the national.

Archived