Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for you biology freaks...

An internal message from the biology department. Note that they expect U1 TAs to "be invited back to work by the University" and that those who resume their work "will be paid."

Colleagues,

As you know, Senate Executive is meeting today to consider the resumption of courses on March 16, 2015 while CUPE Units 1 and 3 are still on strike. This will represent a serious challenge for some Biology courses especially those with lab components. We do have a number of CUPE 2 TAs supporting our courses and these TAs are expected to be at work since they have ratified their agreement and are not on strike anymore. I have been able to obtain some information from the Dean’s office that may affect what courses can or cannot resume. Of course, one important determinant is whether course directors, CUPE 2 TAs, and CUPE 1 TAs are willing to cross the picket lines.

We can expect that Unit 1 TAs will be invited back to work by the University. Unit 1 TAs that resume their TA duties will be paid.

We are able to reallocate TAs from lab demos to marker/graders as long as it is in the same course and we don't exceed the number of workload hours.

We are not allowed to ask TAs that return to work to perform the duties of striking TAs.

We have to determine whether courses with incomplete lab components can be remediated without compromising academic integrity. This could mean reducing the number of lab components, offering online assignments or offering take-home versions of lab assignments.

I will share information, as I receive it. In the meantime, I am available to discuss any concerns you may have regarding the possible resumption of courses next week.

Are we going to find out tonight? 

Also, I wonder how many contract faculty will actually cross the picket lines. 

They will be "disciplined" if they don't cross. I think they will post an announcement tonight or tomorrow. Classes won't resume until Monday at the earliest, so we have time to finish all the work we should have done the last 2 weeks.

"Confused as to why I still have to write essays and do assignments even after losing 2 weeks ..."

Comments like these seriously make me want to punch a wall.  HOW were people like this allowed into York?

Serious question: I don't interact on a social level with many people at York but do you guys think most people view their education as simply a means to an end?

"Confused as to why I still have to write essays and do assignments even after losing 2 weeks ..."

Comments like these seriously make me want to punch a wall.  HOW were people like this allowed into York?

Serious question: I don't interact on a social level with many people at York but do you guys think most people view their education as simply a means to an end?

Most people view their education as a means to an end, I think this applies to most students in North America.

It's definitely become more frequent(or at least noticeable) since I started taking it though. I write words twice and sometimes three times. 

If it is one of the listed side effects, you should probably speak with a pharmacist/MD. Hope everything is okay.

Archived