Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not see any deal occurring without York tightening up tuition indexation language. Even with increases in $$ the current language gives too much freedom to York to erode those increases via tuition hikes (they've shown their tendency to exploit as it is).

What good is $62/hr if it's capped at # of hours you can work or eroded by tuition increases? May as well be $1000/hr. 

From a biz perspective with clients, I prefer to be bill by the hour but clients prefer project billing as it doesn't matter how many hours I work they are protected via the cap. Even though I may charge $200/hr if i take twice as long as I thought then i'm only making $100/hr but client still knows what X costs.

I can't see them throwing out the term but if they made an announcement to that effect prior to April you could register for a bunch of Athabasca or TRU courses to try and compensate and make up for a full year. I'm really not sure how that would impact things. Also impacts graduate studies since most programs look at last two years.

I may email some schools to find out how we would be effected by a semester extension or termination.

Termination would be the worst possible scenario. I imagine that an extension will still be viewed as sep-april for full course load requirements.

I'd probably enroll in a bunch of courses online, ideally courses that give me an out if York doesn't get things wrapped up.

From the rank and file page:

"Dear BIOL2070 TAs,

I have been asked to find out the following:

If courses/labs/tutorials resume on Tuesday March 17th, would you continue being the TA for your biol2070 lab section if you were invited to by York University? I am sorry that I do not have more information right now but some of this information should be known Monday afternoon. I will update you again on Monday evening as labs may continue Tuesday afternoon (Day 3).

Please only reply to me by Monday evening. If you do not reply I will assume that you will not be coming back."

They are failing massively. The one thing York has that the union doesn't is the ability to communicate to 50K+ students on a massive scale. They, from day 1, could have owned the message and narrative nazi style to frame this whole campaign but they did virtually jack squat to the point where I bet few take anything they say in email seriously anymore.

Now they're using this new PR stunt to try and sway the undergrads back to class. I am not sure I see it working in the end.

Archived