Premed 101 Forums

Summer courses

Guest Karma Police

Guest Karma Police

I wanna take 2 full courses during the summer. Orgo and Math. Can this be done, or will the workload be to great?

Cheers.

Guest tommygirl

How is this possible? Usually OChem labs run in the afternoon after an AM lecture.

Anyway-- DON'T do it. O CHem (lecture alone) is condensed and really heavy. And you will have labs/lab write-ups, prelabs. Those really sap your time.

With the math on top of this-- you'll be a basketcase by the time the summer term is through.

Guest Karma Police

I found out somehting new.

UBC's Organic Chem has changed from the standard Full year of Lactures\labs.

Now it's just a half year of lecture and a half year of lab. I wonder if this change makes the course any easier.

Guest tommygirl

1/2 term of OChem is OK if it doesn't overlap with the Math, still for all. The course load doesn't get any lighter-- you just take 1/2 the course now-- and presumably, the other half later.

If it overlaps: my advice still stands--you'll end up feeling like you had to compromise one course to study for the other.

Guest newton

what math course are you taking? Cause i woulnd't suggest integral calc or differential equations unless you're a whiz in math, or invented calculus like i did!

Guest newton

karma police: arrest this man, he talks in maths!

I know what you're thinking, but no i didn't invent matrix algebra. I took it a number of years ago, and found it rather pedestrian. You should do fine.

However, get ready for:

-tensor products, applications and properties of determinants, special matrices and transposes, Normed Linear Spaces, Inner Product Spaces, Gram-Schmidt Algorithm.......

Guest newton

no, i did a biochem degree, but i took a few second year math courses out of interest. (though i found out that its a bit too dry a field to pursue, and biochemistry has much more practical applications and at times makes more sense in reality...). Then again, i know a few comp-sci/math double majors that did very well and made it to meds - thats the only advantage i can see, is that if you're brilliant in math you can get >90 much much easier than >90 in biochem. But i mean brilliant, as in you understand things the first time and can do da vinci problems in your sleep.....

oddly enough, i'm a compsci-math double major. I love it.. and I don't think that math is "dry" at all, I found biology, and particularly biochemistry to be "dry". (Lots of memorizing, I felt that math was training me to think and problem-solve instead.) Point being, to each his own. What one person thinks is dry, another doesn't. I love math. Study what you love!

anyways, "analysis and matrix algebra" is a really odd name for a course, since they are normally completely different topics. So, I don't know what the "analysis" means in this context. Matrix algebra, on the other hand, generally includes really easy topics. Stuff like "inner product spaces, gram-schmidt algorithm" sounds MUCH more intimidating than it is. They basically just involve following rules.

I also don't really understand where the advice not to take both biochem and math comes from - it just depends on whether you're thinking of the summer as an easy-school term or a hard-vacation. Taking three half courses during the summer is nearly a full course load, but it's still less than one. If you're not working on top of that, I can't imagine what would be so hard about it.

Guest princejr13

I wasn't going to work or have any other committments during the summer. Doing 2 full year courses in the summer is like taking 4 half during a semester .... not that difficult in my opinion. If you're a strong student then I'd say go for it.

Guest Karma Police

You gotta be brilliant to get over 90...

aaaaaaaahhh.....better not do Math during the summer or pursue a degree in it.......I'm FAR from being brilliant.

Anyways, i'm probably going to take only ORGO durinf the summer....

thanks for everyone's help.

hey, it also depends at which university. I personally would not recommend math and orgo in the summer at U of T unless you're brilliant or don't need any sleep. But at guelph or something, things are different.

Archived