Premed 101 Forums

Working during undergrad- recommendations?

phosgenic

Hey all,

I currently work Saturdays and Sundays 4pm-12am at a job where I can do some studying, but can't really concentrate too much because I have to keep an eye on the requirements of my job. I just moved from 3 to 5 courses and I am feeling a little overwhelmed, though it is only the 2nd week and I didn't do any studying last week. I don't need the money to pay for school, it's for my own stuff, like clothes and going out and what have you.

Was thinking of cutting back to just 8hrs per week as opposed to 16, do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks as usual.

Unless you absolutely need to work, or are able to work a job while maintaining a full course load, I would not recommend it. Personally, I lack time studying and always feels there's something else I could of done more, with work in the equation, I have no idea how some people manage, but my hat goes off to them.

If you don't need the money, then dont work... I think serious pre meds should avoid school time work at all costs unless they literally need it to live.

I disagree. I think that having multiple small commitments during high school / university (a 5-8hr shift 1/week, workout few times/week, some volunteering few times/month, etc.) can really help someone learn to balance their life. I'd go nuts if all I did in my week was focus on school :P

I disagree. I think that having multiple small commitments during high school / university (a 5-8hr shift 1/week, workout few times/week, some volunteering few times/month, etc.) can really help someone learn to balance their life. I'd go nuts if all I did in my week was focus on school :P

I fully agree with this. This is what I did in undergrad and my GPA didn't suffer.

I agree with medigeek, but I was imagining part-time job as 15-20 hours, not 5-8 hours (and I think he may have as well) around 5 hours is not too bad, I think, especially since a lot of ECs or volunteer activites can be at that length as well

Though for high school I think a part-time job, even at 20+ hrs/week is quite alright

I currently work 25 hours a week, volunteer, and go to school full time. It's busy, but it has allowed me to better manage my time. I am still able to go out on a biweekly basis and go to the gym around 3 times week.

I am in my second year now and I have thus far been able to maintain a 3.83/4.00 GPA.

Archived