Premed 101 Forums

Racism

justanother

So, you are really referring to hate crimes and not racism per se. Racism, prejudice, intolerance is so very unnecessary and occurs amongst the ignorant. It does not always result in a hate crime but is always horrible and to be fought.

Would you agree that there are proportionally more problem cases in certain races than others?

Would you agree that there are proportionally more problem cases in certain races than others?

I honestly do not know. Hate crimes also encompass religions. Muslims face discrimination due to a few very bad apples. I would think that discrimination occurs more the greater the numbers of minorities in any given area. Immigrants too face discrimination and it can be subtle. For example, persons applying for jobs with foreign sounding names are less likely to receive an interview. Especially during economic slowdown, immigrants and others are seen as scapegoats, unjustly so.

I have no answers. When I do see discrimination, I try to do something about it by opening the eyes of the offenders and seeking to make them more tolerant.

Not only is Canada a multicultural society, it is a multi-racial society. And many people now are of more than one or two races. Canada is a beautiful rainbow!

I honestly do not know. Hate crimes also encompass religions. Muslims face discrimination due to a few very bad apples. I would think that discrimination occurs more the greater the numbers of minorities in any given area. Immigrants too face discrimination and it can be subtle. For example, persons applying for jobs with foreign sounding names are less likely to receive an interview. Especially during economic slowdown, immigrants and others are seen as scapegoats, unjustly so.

I have no answers. When I do see discrimination, I try to do something about it by opening the eyes of the offenders and seeking to make them more tolerant.

Not only is Canada a multicultural society, it is a multi-racial society. And many people now are of more than one or two races. Canada is a beautiful rainbow!

Hope it won't become like Europe where the far-right is gaining, especially Quebec.

Racism used to be a way to preserve your kind in tribal warfare. It then evolved into hating those most different than you, until you discover another ethnic group that is even more different. It could be the French vs the English or the Tutsi vs the Hutus, then it become Western Europeans against the Moors, against Asians, against First Nations, ad nauseum. Former enemies ended up joinin forces to wage wars against a newer, more different enemy. It makes no sense anymore in a global and inclusive economy, but many backward thinking people of all races still indulge in a sense of superiority that they think their own race is entitled to. Now, if we could only find a group of six-legged sentient green men from another planet, maybe all the biped humans could band together in an old-fashion foreign-hating war and anhiliate those goddamn grass-hoppers.

Plague of locusts has been with us forever. ;) Should they ever grow to our height, we will be after them. Intermarriage is a solution as we will all become the same. :)

I meant grass-hoppers as a pejorative term. They're actually green six-legged humans.

Archived