Premed 101 Forums

Electives at UBC as a visiting student

Hi,

I'm considering doing an internal medicine elective at one of the hospitals in the greater Vancouver area. Which is the best site for a visiting student looking to gain some hands-on experience and not having too many other students/residents doing core rotations? I would like a site that still does some teaching.

Just out of curiousity, at which sites (Canada-wide) have some of you done interesting electives that you would recommend to others?

Thanks in advance.

I did an elective in nephro at VGH which was pretty good. Students are assigned to the consult team and there is possibility of going to clinic as well. I don't know how much "hands-on" experience there is (it is nephro after all), but a great variety of patients and some very interesting cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Some input from a UBC student:

If you want a really good letter from a big name, VGH would be your best bet. However, expect to be really busy, and potentially not much teaching. I can't speak for all specialties, of course; this is just a generalization.

St. Paul's Hospital has a reputation for being really good for teaching, and not being AS busy as VGH (although still busy). I did my team (CTU) there, and it was fantastic! Great teaching, good preceptors, work load was heavy but not overwhelming. Your preceptors might not have as big names, though, although again of course that depends on the specialty.

Royal Columbian is the slowest, has the best call rooms / lounge. I can't comment on too much else as I didn't do that many rotations there.

Archived