Premed 101 Forums

irish school interviews

wow I don't believe people are willing to go under 300$K of debt just to become IMGs at the end.

IMGs get very few spots (mostly in GP) and have to sign a contract (RoS) that will force you to practice in rural areas for 5 years.

Unless you want to practice in US, but then you might as well go to the BIG 4 Caribbean schools so you do your clinical in US.

wow I don't believe people are willing to go under 300$K of debt just to become IMGs at the end.

IMGs get very few spots (mostly in GP) and have to sign a contract (RoS) that will force you to practice in rural areas for 5 years.

Unless you want to practice in US, but then you might as well go to the BIG 4 Caribbean schools so you do your clinical in US.

Keep your irrelevant, pointless, dumb comments in your diary at the end of day

I was also contacted by RCSI for an interview in Toronto. =) Sorry docs87 if this isn't much help.

Some people just aren't in it for the prestige and money. Some people would happily go broke for the opportunity to make a real difference in places of the world that would welcome an Irish-trained doctor with open arms. Practicing medicine in Canada or the US would be wonderful but they are by no means the only places and perhaps amongst the less rewarding places in the world for a doctor to change the lives of the less fortunate. I don't mean to be confrontational, I just want to explain one reason why applying to Irish schools makes a lot of sense for some peope.

I appreciate your reason, your the first person to have spoke with reason on this forum instead of bad language.

It's completely understandable that why would some people do that. I just wanted to make sure they are informed decision. Yes that's a huge debt; but as long as you know the risks and you are willing to take it, then that's a different story.

There is nothing wrong with becoming an IMG!!!! If you manage to do everything well there is a high possibility that you will be able to match in Canada. 300k is nothing for an exchange to get an MD (MBBS in ireland) and live abroad for 4 years.

I can't believe how narrow minded some people are on here!!!

Archived