Premed 101 Forums

Different Route into Medicine - Advise?

Hello,

Long time listener, first time caller :). I am looking at taking a very different route into Medicine. The reasoning for this is that, although I am extremely interested in Medicine, I actually want to do something completely different as a career. That being said, the career I am interested is extremely unstable; many people lose their jobs or medicals. So I figure, Medicine might be something to consider as well, as I think it would be something I would be interested in studying.

The career I am looking at going into requires a degree, but it can be any degree. The career is all experience based, and takes years (approximately 12-20) to get to my dream company, and another probably 6-10 to get my dream job. Due to the experience requirements, I think the best bet for me would be to get into the industry as fast as possible after high school, then completing a degree through correspondence. The first few years in the industry are apparently very hectic; 14-16 hour days and you have to be very flexible and willing to show up when the boss calls, so I won't have any time to do University work. However, hopefully after 3-5 years things will start settling down and I will be able to complete a degree.

The Degree I am interested in is a BBA through Memorial. I have a wide interest range though, so if you feel that get a BSc is better for pre-med, there are several of those offered through distance learning that I would be interested in doing. I might not be able to do a full course load however, so would that affect my application into med school?

Thanks and I look forward to everyone's responses!

All the best

Let me guess, your end goal is to be a pilot for a national company, or a fighter pilot. You plan on doing a degree by part-time starting 3 or 4 years from now and finishing it about 10 years from now. Then at some point if things are not working out you will apply to medicine 10 to 20 years from now. Have I got it?

The courses you take does matter for some schools. The fact that you did not take your degree full-time will matter for some schools.

It may be possible, but if you don't take your degree full-time you will severely limit your med school chances.

Good to see your thinking of alternative careers. Best of luck in your decision.

Ahh you're so cute I could pinch you!

Jokes aside, you want to embark on an extremely, demanding life-long career in medicine but only 18-30 years later after you're done with another vague career that seems to be equally challenging and demanding?

I'm not even going to comment on the above, but will tell you that the most important criteria for getting into medical school are your grades in your undergraduate school, and the majority would like you to carry a full course load and not take sparse courses while you work fulltime.

That's exactly what I am thinking. However, I doubt I would consider medicine after I turn 30. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't close any doors by going this route.

Thanks for the information from both of you as well. I will definitely have to research further on which medical schools will allow it. I might also be able to by undergraduate full time too if it's a requirement for many places, although it would take a ton of work and commitment. I guess I'll just have to find out when I get there. Doing this is definitely a lot easier said than done.

avion,

If you really want to be a pilot, yet not close the door to medicine, I would try to get a full time degree. There are several programs in Canada that will give you both commercial/multi/IFR ratings and a degree. (Western is one) That way, if/when you ever decide to pursue medicine, you will have 4 years of undergrad with hopefully a high GPA that you can use for admissions.

If you are considering the military aviation route, feel free to PM me.

Alright. If it's not possible to keep all my doors open by going this route, or it would be extremely difficult, I guess I should look at a different avenue. Western is definitely an option, but it is rather expensive, especially when considering how little Pilots earn for the first few years.

I probably sound like an idiot right now, because I am saying this all so nonchalantly. I have been reading this site for a few years now, and although on paper I understand how extremely difficult medicine is, I haven't even experience University yet. I apologize if I seem this way; I just made this thread to make sure I am not closing any doors.

I think Air Canada actually gives extra points on the hiring matrix for minorities. Don't quote me on this though.

One last question: do Medical Schools accept students with an "applied" degree from a college? I am interested in the Bachelors of Applied Aviation Technology degree at Seneca, mainly because it is one of the best flight schools in Canada, and also because it is fully subsidized, meaning it will only cost $40k. I am not sure if medical schools look favorably on applied degrees though.

Alright. If it's not possible to keep all my doors open by going this route, or it would be extremely difficult, I guess I should look at a different avenue. Western is definitely an option, but it is rather expensive, especially when considering how little Pilots earn for the first few years.

I probably sound like an idiot right now, because I am saying this all so nonchalantly. I have been reading this site for a few years now, and although on paper I understand how extremely difficult medicine is, I haven't even experience University yet. I apologize if I seem this way; I just made this thread to make sure I am not closing any doors.

Hi Avion,

I hope my reply didn't come across as though I thought you were an idiot. Far from it - I'm more or less living the exact career path you described!

All I can say for advice is: try to leave both doors open - aviation and medicine. There could very well be a point in a few years when you realize you have a real preference for one or the other, and it is always harder (though not impossible) to start from scratch at a later time.

Hi larva,

Sorry, my message wasn't at all directed to you or anyone else. Everybody has been extremely helpful and nice.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I have been reading these forums for a while now, and I realize how hard medicine is. In all honesty, I fully expect not to be able to get into either of these professions. Despite this, I do want to keep my doors open. I don't expect either of these or feel I am entitled in any way.

Anyways, again, thanks for all the helpful replies. I have adjusted my post-secondary plans accordingly.

Cheers

Archived