Premed 101 Forums

The Best dental school in Canada?

The problem is that there are not many people who have attended more than one school so the quality of the education or the "school experience" is next to impossible to judge. Also, "the best" is highly subjective. I am at McGill I think it's amongst the best because it is 6000$/year, small class size, they have extremely high match rate to specialities and you get to live in MTL. I would never consider UBC the best because the return on your investment is not better than any other school but the cost is extreme. Anyway, what considerations are you making when you say the best... My judgement of western...london ON, ~30K/year, no thanks

I should mention as a disclaimer that I know nothing about the other dental schools programs...

WHAT!?!?!? 6K/YEAR? WOW! That's amazing. Ps. UBC is definitely not the best school, their PBL curriculum seems to be looked down upon by many, I'm not sure why. Didactic wise, UofT is up there, clinically, I'm not sure which school would have an edge. Anyone, wanna shed some light on which schools have strong clinicals?

The problem is that there are not many people who have attended more than one school so the quality of the education or the "school experience" is next to impossible to judge. Also, "the best" is highly subjective. I am at McGill I think it's amongst the best because it is 6000$/year, small class size, they have extremely high match rate to specialities and you get to live in MTL. I would never consider UBC the best because the return on your investment is not better than any other school but the cost is extreme. Anyway, what considerations are you making when you say the best... My judgement of western...london ON, ~30K/year, no thanks

Second year is ~30K, third year is ~10K

Yeah I was not sure if the 20K in equipment was included in the other schools 30K/year tuition...

The exact break down for McGill (total cost) is:

1st 7,538.35

2nd 26,119.97

3rd 10,689.84

4th 7,508.26

Still a pretty sweet deal compared to others...

I believe you'll get a good education at any of the schools. Some people choose the school closest to home... others want to be far away from home. If you are a new applicant my advice is apply everywhere you might want to go, attend whatever interviews you are offered, and see what school seems to suit you the best :)

I'm partial to Dal though ;)

M

The best dental school in Canada is one that accepts you.

But in all seriousness, when it comes to dental schools, the main deciding factor is clinical experience.

Let's consider UBC vs UWO.

UBC is located in lower main Vancouver where avg housing price is above $1M. I would assume most Vancouverites in this region are better off than London counterpat and would not want to travel all the way to the west end just to get 20 to 40% off on their treatment when every corner of Vancouver is already saturated with dental practices. (some don't even ask for insurance deductable these days, so not much savings there) This is mostly my speculation, and I never heard of issues with patient recruitment at UBC, but I read in the paper that there is a great disparity in patient pool for the medical school, so I assume the same thing might be happening with their DS.

Yeah I was not sure if the 20K in equipment was included in the other schools 30K/year tuition...

The exact break down for McGill (total cost) is:

1st 7,538.35

2nd 26,119.97

3rd 10,689.84

4th 7,508.26

Still a pretty sweet deal compared to others...

Wow I think that's gotta be the cheapest school in the world!!

Haha funny question... I'll give my 2 cents on U of A.

The course work sucks a lot since we take pretty much every class with the meds and waste so much time with crap that we will never use. It's sweet that every lecture is recorded though so that you don't actually have to go to med classes as you can just watch it at home whenever you want.

Price has been going down, I think it's now at $20,000 a year since we are renting instruments and not buying anymore (although I paid 40 grand in first year cause we were the last class to buy our own instruments).

In terms of facilities, we have a brand new simulation lab and a brand new clinic opening Sept 1 thanks to oil money. The cost of the two new buildings are $908 million although they aren't just for dentistry. Apparently people from McLeans were just at the sim labs because they are supposed to be the newest and nicest in North America.

In terms of instructors, some are great and some are... well not so great. Our oral surgery national board scores are among the highest in Canada while our endo are among the lowest.

Thus far I'm somewhat satisfied with U of A but the true test will be next year when we start clinical.

Schalker your description of u of a sounds consistent with feedback I've heard from many dental schools when you get past the "dog and pony" shows put on by the schools for recruiting purposes. A common complaint across the board is the ridiculous amount of focus on theoretical academic general med stuff that's highly unrelated to dentistry. Spending hours learning about leprosy or toe muscles truly is a giant waste of time when little time is spent on core details like diagnosing a cavity. However the trend is to more general med academics not less - case in point being the new curriculum introduced at Western, and U of T has been notorious for this for awhile.

If you wanna have requirements of 12 crowns, 4 molar endos, tx plan and deliver 3 implants.... UofM for 4th year is the best. we may not have the best didactic courses (they actually are terrible) but UofM is known for producing the best clinical dentists in Canada... If you wanna be able to do practical work go to the UofM, if you wanna learn about gingival attachment level and the theory go to UBC

Having a requirements list is one thing, but getting the patients into clinic in order to fulfill those requirements is yet another. I'm not knocking the description of U of M requirements, however I understand that in most Canadian dental schools, the patient pool is getting smaller and smaller. There are those who will likely be allowed to graduate without fulfilling all requirements because the school clinics haven't managed to get those patients in. If you're really keen on clinical, in fact the US is better since the intense competition for getting the crown, or the bridge, or whatever isn't an issue. They have people lined up waiting for clinic appointments to get seen.

Archived