Premed 101 Forums

U of O or U of C

majid01

Hello everyone,

I currently live in calgary and will attend university next september in the hope of attending med school later on. My problem is that I am debating if I should go to university of ottawa or calgary? Ottawa because it offers the program in french (first language) and because it doesnt require MCAT. But U of C because I will not have to pay living expenses (staying at my parents house) and that I have the possibility to attend med school after two years of undergrad.

I find it a though decision because I am pretty scared of that big exam (MCAT), I write much better in french (so if in undergrad we would have to submit endless essay's, writing them in french would be beneficial for my GPA) and that two years chance of getting to med school. What would you guys do? Are the chances of getting in after two years too slim? Does an undergrad in bio-medical /bio-science requires alot of essays to be written? Is it worth to move to ottawa and pay extra for living (considering I am not rich and will live off of loans and scholarships...)

Thank you!

Because of the French, definitely U/O. You will suffer in the MCAT for sure. And if necessary, you can become IP in Quebec.

Ok, thanks for the advice, but what do you mean IP in Quebec? I heard med schools in quebec reserve around 1 spot for out of province, so I am really not thinking of applying there haha.

You can have a fallback plan. If you live in Quebec for one year and are not involved in fulltime studies, even after you graduate, you can apply to McGill as a Quebec resident where you have an increased chance at an interivew. Also, you dont have to worry about MCAT. I am unsure about the position with the French speaking med schools,

You can have a fallback plan. If you live in Quebec for one year and are not involved in fulltime studies, even after you graduate, you can apply to McGill as a Quebec resident where you have an increased chance at an interivew. Also, you dont have to worry about MCAT. I am unsure about the position with the French speaking med schools,

Ohhhh ok, so McGil doesnt require MCAT? Also, I was born in quebec but I moved 11 years ago to alberta. I am not considered a resident right?

I'd say it would be a good idea to go to U of C and save on 4 years of living expenses. I stayed with my parents during undergrad, and it was worth it to graduate nearly debt-free. Plus, it also saves the stress of having to worry about meals and such (unless your parents want you to cook), and it gives you a built-in support network. However, you wouldn't be able to apply to med until your 3rd year, as they recently changed the requirements for med school.

Also, if you're francophone, why not apply to a university in Quebec for undergrad? That way you could possibly get residency in Quebec, and if you did two years of high school in Alberta, would still be considered IP there.

Bio degrees don't usually come with a lot of essay writing. However, you do have to write up labs, and there may be short/long answer questions on exams. I'm not sure how much this would matter, as you could always just have someone correct them for bad language and such.

I'd say it would be a good idea to go to U of C and save on 4 years of living expenses. I stayed with my parents during undergrad, and it was worth it to graduate nearly debt-free. Plus, it also saves the stress of having to worry about meals and such (unless your parents want you to cook), and it gives you a built-in support network. However, you wouldn't be able to apply to med until your 3rd year, as they recently changed the requirements for med school.

Also, if you're francophone, why not apply to a university in Quebec for undergrad? That way you could possibly get residency in Quebec, and if you did two years of high school in Alberta, would still be considered IP there.

Bio degrees don't usually come with a lot of essay writing. However, you do have to write up labs, and there may be short/long answer questions on exams. I'm not sure how much this would matter, as you could always just have someone correct them for bad language and such.

What do you mean by IP? Does studying in quebec would change from lets say alberta or ottawa?

The OP would be a Quebec resident if living in Quebec for one year as part time student but definitely not full time. For example, go part time to Cegep or UdeM and start for the process for prerequsites. The next year, go fulltime and then be on the road for one of Quebec's 4 med schools. :)

Well that puzzles me more haha :). I am thinking that the most obvious route would be U of O although I will be in some debt afterwards.... But in quebec, I would finish grade 12 here, head over for one year in cegep than apply to med school? That seems quick haha :)

Thanks again for advice!

What do you mean by IP? Does studying in quebec would change from lets say alberta or ottawa?

I mean you'd be considered an in-province applicant when you go to apply for U of C med (dunno if it works the same for U of A), and would have an advantage during the application process (as in, meet their minimum GPA, and your file gets sent to review).

I don't think what you'll learn content-wise will differ too much. However, if it's easier for you to study in french, then you should definitely go for it.

I mean you'd be considered an in-province applicant when you go to apply for U of C med (dunno if it works the same for U of A), and would have an advantage during the application process (as in, meet their minimum GPA, and your file gets sent to review).

I don't think what you'll learn content-wise will differ too much. However, if it's easier for you to study in french, then you should definitely go for it.

Ahh ok, thx for info, but after grade 12, where would I go in quebec to finish my studies, cegep right? And that would only be one year before applying to med school? If so, it does sound intriguing! :)

Well that puzzles me more haha :). I am thinking that the most obvious route would be U of O although I will be in some debt afterwards.... But in quebec, I would finish grade 12 here, head over for one year in cegep than apply to med school? That seems quick haha :)

Thanks again for advice!

NO. You would go to Cegep part time, if allowed. And that would prevent you from the fast route. However, if you worked, volunteered whilew living in Quebec, the next year you would apply to Cegep as a resident. Then, it would be possible for you to go directly into med school. :P You would still have the U/O option and I can advise you regarding possible undergrad route that could lead to medicine. :P

NO. You would go to Cegep part time, if allowed. And that would prevent you from the fast route. However, if you worked, volunteered whilew living in Quebec, the next year you would apply to Cegep as a resident. Then, it would be possible for you to go directly into med school. :P You would still have the U/O option and I can advise you regarding possible undergrad route that could lead to medicine. :P

How come part-time lol? Cant I get in full time since I was born there?

Thanks!

Since you were born in Quebec, you will forever be considered a resident. So it would be better for you to come to Quebec, do cegep, and apply. You will save 2 years, a lot of $$$, and from having to break your head about which major to do.

Nice thanks for the info, does my grade 12 counts at first year cegep?

Thanks again!

OP, you just threw new information at us, i.e., you were born in Quebec.

This changes everything and Robin Hood is soooo right. You must:) move to Quebec, enter Cegep with advice from Robin Hood and possibly enter med school after 2 years, in either a 4 or 5 year program. If not accepted at that time, then go to either U/O or oneof the universities in Quebec (we can discuss which one later). Coming to Quebec may turn out to be the least expensive and best option for medicine. :P

OP, you just threw new information at us, i.e., you were born in Quebec.

This changes everything and Robin Hood is soooo right. You must:) move to Quebec, enter Cegep with advice from Robin Hood and possibly enter med school after 2 years, in either a 4 or 5 year program. If not accepted at that time, then go to either U/O or oneof the universities in Quebec (we can discuss which one later). Coming to Quebec may turn out to be the least expensive and best option for medicine. :P

Wow, good thing I asked you guys, this put a whole new perspective to my week long reasearch on where I should go haha. Thanks for that! But one question, will my grade 12 count as the first year in cegep stating that I did french 31 AP (got 100%) plus D.E.L.F B2 on top of that? (which stands for diplome d'étude en langue française)

Isn't it interesting the turn our conversation has taken. :) Your grade 12 will not count toward one year of Cegep nor do you want it to - b/c in order to get in to a med program directly from Cegep, you need 2 years!!! If I were you, I would definitely apply to Cegep now, the only issue is whether you go to an English speaking or French speaking Cegep, pick the language in which you would likely excel on a comparative basis. Then, discuss with Robin Hood which Cegep to apply and to attend. You would find accommodations nearby, they will have a list. You do not necessarily need to go in Montreal. :)

This route is a no brainer. :P It has been made for you.

Isn't it interesting the turn our conversation has taken. :) Your grade 12 will not count toward one year of Cegep nor do you want it to - b/c in order to get in to a med program directly from Cegep, you need 2 years!!! If I were you, I would definitely apply to Cegep now, the only issue is whether you go to an English speaking or French speaking Cegep, pick the language in which you would likely excel on a comparative basis. Then, discuss with Robin Hood which Cegep to apply and to attend. You would find accommodations nearby, they will have a list. You do not necessarily need to go in Montreal. :)

This route is a no brainer. :P It has been made for you.

Ahh I see, but having learn this, it kinds of put everything back in perspective, I will finish all grade 11 courses in june this year, should I apply for cegep this september? I already have a few grade 12 courses (french, bio 30). With everything completed rade 11 wise, do I apply now or finish my grade 12 (which would be next january 2013) and then apply for cegep? I find it confusing if they accept from grade 11 (which is like secondaire 5 it seems) or if I need to finish grade 12 before going to cegep?

Thanks again haha! :)

It will never end. :) Apply and try to avoid grade 12, you may get lucky and shave off a year. Let the games begin! :P

You have the best advice in Canada on this forum. :D

Alright, thanks for all the great info everyone, and seeing deadline is march 1st for september classes, I better start seriously thinking about this haha. Thanks!

Oh oh, but now I am seeing a requirement for physics in cegep which I havent take as in alberta, you can choose two from bio,chem and physics.Ii chose bio and chem. Do you think they will calculate biology 30 (which I am done) inlieu of physics? I am also taking chem.

Archived