Premed 101 Forums

I plan on doing my undergrad in Ottawa, and I was wondering...

Will studying in a postsecondary institution outside of the maritime provinces have any adverse effects when it comes to applying into and MD program in the maritimes?

For information, I'm currently a senior in highschool at a New-Brunswick secondary school. I'm a permanent resident of the province. I've applied at Mt. Allison in Biology, and got accepted, but I would like to take an undergrad degree in either Biomed or Health sciences at the U of Ottawa.

Both of those degrees seem more interesting than a simple Biochem or Biology degree, and I know the career choices I have if I don't get accepted into medicine will be more interesting with those degrees (especially the Biomed).

I was wondering about this, since DAL has 30 seats for NB students, and MUN, 10.

It's probably a stupid question, but one worth asking nonetheless.

No, it won't affect your residency status at either MUN or Dal. However, I do know that some Ontario schools will accept your application as an Ontario resident (for instance Mac) if you study there for an extended period of time. Therefore, going to Ontario to do your undergrad would allow you to apply to MUN and Dal as an NB, while applying to some Ontario schools as an Ontario resident. Just an FYI

No, it won't affect your residency status at either MUN or Dal. However, I do know that some Ontario schools will accept your application as an Ontario resident (for instance Mac) if you study there for an extended period of time. Therefore, going to Ontario to do your undergrad would allow you to apply to MUN and Dal as an NB, while applying to some Ontario schools as an Ontario resident. Just an FYI

While this is true, you should check with MUN, Dal, and McMaster to see if they allow you to declare different residency status, on different applications. I know on MUN's website they say that they expect you to hold the same status wrt residency on all applications - but perhaps this isn't enforced.

While this is true, you should check with MUN, Dal, and McMaster to see if they allow you to declare different residency status, on different applications. I know on MUN's website they say that they expect you to hold the same status wrt residency on all applications - but perhaps this isn't enforced.

They have no way of enforcing it. I know people who have done it to their advantage and the schools have no way of knowing. So, it can be done...Whether it is ethical however, is up for debate...

They have no way of enforcing it. I know people who have done it to their advantage and the schools have no way of knowing. So, it can be done...Whether it is ethical however, is up for debate...

Sounds like a good way to risk having your offer revoked, if you did get one :S

Archived