Premed 101 Forums

HELP! Microbiology!

I am doing terribly at school with clinical microbiology. All those drugs and bugs names and details are simply too much for me! Anyone kind enough to share their personal experiences and any suggestions of study strategies with this material? I am falling behind terribly and perhaps going into depression mode...

Take a look at Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple.. it has a bunch of funny cartoons that I find really help retain the info. Also, read, read, read and read.

+1 super easy read, some helpful cartoons (most aren't great but the odd one sticks in your mind. ex. picture of a rhino holding a corona and nyquil --> 2 most common causes of the common cold rhinovirus and corona virus, or picture of hostpial staff with cats --> staph = catalase positive, etc)

I found microbiology difficult when I learned it in first year. It gets better, by the time you're finishing medical school, you would have re-learned the material probably 10+ times.

Start with the basics, drug classes, grouping your bugs (gram neg, pos, etc)

Creating comparison tables helps

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple is highly recommended.

No need to get depressed over feeling like you don't know anything, we've all been there! It's part of the medical school experience.

Archived