Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie PT and OT

Just wanted to start a thread for DAL applicants, where it seems most posts are Ontario focused and it's not easy to sift through to find Dal specific posts. If anyone knows much about DAL PT or OT, just share :) Things such as how competitive it is to get in, what's the school's reputation nationally, what are the stats of entering classes, when letters/notifications come out, etc.

I'm in the same boat. They seem a little old-school (no pun intended, but I'm gonna roll with it) and I haven't been able to dig up too much information.

I'm applying from BC and I'm curious how many applications they get from outside the Atlantic provinces.

I'm in the same boat. They seem a little old-school (no pun intended, but I'm gonna roll with it) and I haven't been able to dig up too much information.

I'm applying from BC and I'm curious how many applications they get from outside the Atlantic provinces.

when i emailed them they told me that they couldnt tell me the cutoffs for out of province students, but they also said they get more applicants from OOP than they do in their other applicant pool, which is insaannnne for only 5 spots:eek:

when i emailed them they told me that they couldnt tell me the cutoffs for out of province students, but they also said they get more applicants from OOP than they do in their other applicant pool, which is insaannnne for only 5 spots:eek:

Jeebus. I hope that just means they don't get too many Atlantic applications.

On their website they say a minimum GPA of 3.0 is needed to apply, but I realize that is probably not the cutoff (although that would be nice :) ). They also say on their web page that "in principle, all applicants from the Atlantic provinces whose applications are complete will be offered an interview. In the event that this is not administratively possible, the Admissions committee will rank applicants by GPA on most recent 60credit hours to make the interview offers". Minimum of 112 interviews will be offered.

N.S...so there is 16 spots open I believe. I also never got an email for PT yet but I did for OT

I believe that the seat designations (16 for NS, 15 for NB, 10 for NL, and 2 for PEI) are the minimums. The remaining 13 seats could be all NS or all PEI etc if that's where the best applicants are. Only a maximum of 5 could go to persons living outside the atlantic provinces, so that means at least 8 more seats are open to Atlantic students. At least that's my interpretation of what the web site says.

I believe that the seat designations (16 for NS, 15 for NB, 10 for NL, and 2 for PEI) are the minimums. The remaining 13 seats could be all NS or all PEI etc if that's where the best applicants are. Only a maximum of 5 could go to persons living outside the atlantic provinces, so that means at least 8 more seats are open to Atlantic students. At least that's my interpretation of what the web site says.

So it's 5 undesignated spots for PT but 25 for OT? Seems unfair but I'm glad I'm applying for OT!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I applied to Dal OT, I'm from the Maritimes so it is probably my best chance of getting accepted because they set aside specific seats for residents, although it's not one of my top choices at all.

If you don't mind my asking, why isn't Dal one of your top choices? I'm just wondering because I have heard very little about their program (and as for OT schools it's my best chance as well, where I'm from Atlantic Canada).

Also, for everyone wondering when we'll find out, I found their facebook page through the school's home page, and a post said that the first acceptance letters for MSc(OT) entry level are going out by April 30.

Labrador11,

Some of it is for personal reasons. I've also done my undergrad in Nova Scotia, not too far from Halifax, and I've seen a lot of the city over the years. I'm looking for a big change.

As well, in my opinion, the jobs and fieldwork placements, research opportunities etc are not nearly as varied or as interesting out here on the east coast as they would be in a bigger city, say Toronto, Vancouver or Edmonton. Since I figure I'd have to move to a bigger city to find the better job opportunities anyways I figure I'd rather do my education in a big center and get settled as I get my MSc.

The department at Dal seems really tiny too. I'm sure it's not a bad school, I just don't think for me it'd be the best fit.

Sorry to hear that, pthopeful15.

I also heard from Dal PT today through email :) I did get invited for an interview. The NL interviews are the 24th and 25th. They asked me to confirm that I would attend by Monday (I replied immediately) and they would contact me with an exact time later.

They also said that the interviews would be scenario based and last 20-30 min.

I wonder if anyone has any more information on what the interviews will be like? (i.e. knows someone who has done it before or have done one themselves)

Sorry to hear that, pthopeful15.

I also heard from Dal PT today through email :) I did get invited for an interview. The NL interviews are the 24th and 25th. They asked me to confirm that I would attend by Monday (I replied immediately) and they would contact me with an exact time later.

They also said that the interviews would be scenario based and last 20-30 min.

I wonder if anyone has any more information on what the interviews will be like? (i.e. knows someone who has done it before or have done one themselves)

Do you mind stating your sGPA? I thought 3.87 might have been high enough to get an interview, although I am from Ontario and there are only a limited number of spots available to OPP/non-atlantic applicants

Archived