Premed 101 Forums

Accomodations

I just booked my accommodations at the Vallahalla Inn. Got $119 per night with a Lakehead U alumni discount, which isnt bad. Regular rate is not much more 125$/night. Not a deal of the century but I guess I am used to the ridicoulous prices in Toronto whenever I go to conferences $189-249/night.:eek:

• 4 weeks later...
I just booked my accommodations at the Vallahalla Inn. Got $119 per night with a Lakehead U alumni discount, which isnt bad. Regular rate is not much more 125$/night. Not a deal of the century but I guess I am used to the ridicoulous prices in Toronto whenever I go to conferences $189-249/night.:eek:

If you're paying out of pocket and need accommodations for conferences in TO... give Ryerson University a call. They have a "hotel floor" on the 2nd floor of their residence (the ILLC on jarvis) so that their hospitality students can practice. The hotel floor is decent and it's about $100.00 / night, hot breakfast in. $70.00 / night if you stay longer. They rent out residence rooms in the summer, but be a bit more wary of the residence rooms.

If you're paying out of pocket and need accommodations for conferences in TO... give Ryerson University a call. They have a "hotel floor" on the 2nd floor of their residence (the ILLC on jarvis) so that their hospitality students can practice. The hotel floor is decent and it's about $100.00 / night, hot breakfast in. $70.00 / night if you stay longer. They rent out residence rooms in the summer, but be a bit more wary of the residence rooms.

Good to know. Thanks. Usually it is coming out of my work's pocket so the cost is not a problem although my $2500 professional development fund is eaten up very quickly when you have a 4 day conference with hotel eating up $1k of it, never mind airfare, food, taxi, etc.

I forget which, hotwire or priceline name your own price, I've stayed at top hotels in TO for $60/night instead of $250 which I could not afford.

Glad the suggestion was useful!

The info for accommodations at Ryerson is here:

http://www.ryerson.ca/conference/accommodations/index.html

Definitely book the ILLC if you want an economical spot! It's an air conditioned, private room with a private bathroom, computer desk, tv, etc and the included breakfast makes for a good deal.

I wouldn't recommend Pitman Hall, the other residence across the street on Mutual. It's only $10.00 less and they're jail cells, without the locks. :eek: One bathroom to be shared across a dozen students, cinder block walls, a shoebox window, and a tiny single bed too short for this tall person! :) Not to say that wouldn't be OK in a different context, but for a difference of $10.00 definitely go for ILLC. With 7 weeks of intensive courses through the last three years, they've always been able to accommodate at the ILLC. The only exception has been my request for a 2-day intensive this month, as the residence has flooded. (That's not as ominous as it sounds! :P )

Thanks for the tip on ILLC! Are they year round or just during the summer?

Hi Lactic Folly,

The second level "hotel floor" is typically open and bookable year round. The actual student residence is available May 1 - August (31??)

As I had mentioned, to my knowledge the 2nd floor hotel part is currently under renos, but it has been since November 2011 so it should be open soon. It's definitely decent. Just don't walk past Jarvis and Dundas and you'll be fine. ;)

Archived